Before Lilith, there was.............Al?

If it helps at all, I just discovered (via that damned book) the myth is Armenian.

Still doesn’t help much in the google search so far.

A vestige of the myth still is occasionally heard in the expressions, “Well, Al be damned,” and “Don’t that beat Al.”

A reference to the lady’s banishment shows up in, “She was horny as Al get out.”

Not necessarily. Would you be attracted to somebody you watched come into being, particularly if you saw her intestines and spleen develop? I don’t think I would.

Would you be attracted to somebody you watched come into being, particularly if you saw her intestines and spleen develop? I don’t think I would.

Exactly… but I wouldn’t expect that to be pointed out in a religious text… it’s too much poking fun at people’s delusions about reality vs. what we’d like to believe. :wink: It sounds like something from a modern stand-up routine.

I guess one’s man faith is another’s man myth.

Islam requires a belief in the unseen. Angels and Jinn are among the unseen.
Angels were created from light, obey God without question, have no free will
Jinn were created from fire (not heat) and have free will. Satan is Jinn and his fall was a result of not bowing to Adam upon God’s order. Not all Jinn are demons.
Man was created from a clot (dirt or Earth) and have free will

My first impression is that your book borrows from Islamic beliefs.

Lilith is covered in a Staff Report.

There are a variety of myths, fairy-tales, humorous stories, cautionary stories, and what-not about Adam and Eve. They are all non-canonical, in the sense that none of them come from the biblical (original) sources.

There are numerous Rabbinical myths concerning creatures named Lilith. One well-known story is that she was Adam’s first wife but was banished because she wanted to be on top during sex, thereby disrupting the “natural” balance of the sexes. She then transformed into a demon. The only use of the name Lilith in the Bible is to a demon.

While I don’t have a site for it just now, here is a lovely myth I learned when I was an undergraduate, back in the mid-70s. It seems like a variation on the OP cited:

After God created Adam, He saw that it was not good for man to be alone. So He fashioned a creature of pure spirit to be Adam’s companion, and named her Lilith.

Adam was disappointed with a woman who made of spirit and not substance, and God saw that it was right that he should, instead, have a companion who was made of flesh and blood the same as he.

God then fashioned a companion named Lilith again. This time He molded her out of clay the same as He had done with Adam. Adam saw this happen, though, and he was disappointed to have a wife made from dirt.

Then God put Adam to sleep and took his rib. From this He fashioned Eve. God and Adam both understood that it was good and right that he have as his companion a woman who was flesh of his flesh.

[trivia] the word helpmeet has a fascinating background, due to our unfamiliarity with the usage of the word “meet” in the King James era, namely “fitting” or “suitable”

[/trivia]

I think it’s worth noting that many people do not consider the Lilith legend to be authentic; that is, it may even be an old parody.

From this site:

*: The story of Lilith is not actually found in any authentic Rabbinic tradition. Although it is repeatedly cited as a “Rabbinic legend” or a “midrash,” it is not recorded in any ancient Jewish text!
The tale of Lilith originates in a medieval work called “the Alphabet of Ben-Sira,” a work whose relationship to the conventional streams of Judaism is, to say the least, problematic.

. . .

So shocking and abhorrent are some of the contents of “the Alphabet of Ben-Sira” that modern scholars have been at a loss to explain why anyone would have written such a book. Some see it as an impious digest of risqué folk-tales. Others have suggested that it was a polemical broadside aimed at Christians, Karaites, or some other opposing movement. I personally would not rule out the possibility that it was actually an anti-Jewish satire–though, to be sure, it did come to be accepted by the Jewish mystics of medieval Germany;

Also, just to throw this into the mix, I note that the New International Version of the Bible translates the word “lilith” in its sole verse (Isaiah 34:14) as “night creatures.”

(I think the best part of this whole thread is that I get to use the little Jewish smiley face!)
;j
RR

The Hebrew name Lilith comes from the Akkadian lilitu. This seems to have been a very ancient play on words: Akkadian was a Semitic language. The Semitic root l-y-l means ‘night’. This explains the translation of ‘night creatures’ and the association of Lilith with night and the Dark Feminine.

Meanwhile, the word lil in Sumerian (an unrelated language) means ‘wind, air’. In some languages the word for wind is also used to mean ‘evil spirit’. For example, in Turkish the word yel means ‘wind’ but is also used to mean ‘evil spirit’ (as in the Kabbalistic demon name Samiel, from Arabic samm ‘poison’ + Turkish yel). The association of air/wind/breath with spirit is of course practically a linguistic universal, found in many language families.

After the Akkadians took over Sumer, educated people there continued to be bilingual in both Akkadian and Sumerian for many centuries. It’s not surprising someone would have made a play on words to demonize a Semitic night goddess because her name sounded like a Sumerian word for ‘demon’. Modern scholars will tell you “It doesn’t mean that, it means this” – “No, it doesn’t mean this, it means that” – but they forget that wordplay uses both meanings at once. Religious language in the Middle East is rife with wordplay. The Kabbalists and Sufis made much use of wordplay to connect different concepts, and it looks to me as though the ancient Mesopotamians made wordplay with Lilith’s name too.

http://www.deliriumsrealm.com/delirium/mythology/

nice link here.
go to the demons gallery, where you’ll find lillith and astoreth.