Being in your 20s sucks

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!

I’m afraid these things won’t resolve themselves until you reach your 40s. By which time they still won’t have resolved themselves, but at least you’ll discover the horrible new invention called Gravity.

See, the problem is YOU, not your 20s. And if you think there’s some magic time when it all gets easy, you’ll be waiting your whole life.

Drop the “responsibility act” and do it. Me and my buddies used to do a “FBDO” all the time. . .that’s “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off”.

Learn to do it now. If you think your 20s suck, then you have a lot of suck ahead of you.

I spent twelve years getting my bachelor’s and working not one, but THREE jobs that Vicente Fox wouldn’t wish on anybody, because nobody had a dime for me.

I’ll turn 31 in August, and, believe me when I tell you that your situation (struggling to stay ahead, keeping all your ducks in a row) will never change.

The only thing that will change is how you look at it and where you get your enjoyment.
Take a day off. Sometimes you have to work three hours tomorrow for an hour of fun today, but there are times when that trade is a damn good one.
And let’s see a picture before we start talking sugar-daddy.

Exactly where in your 20s? 22 or 28?
I achieved economic normalization around 24 or so.
By the way, if you can’t control spending, you’ll stay broke no matter how much you make.

Can I just ask out of my naive ignorance what it means to have a sugar daddy? I thought they were candies.

Anyway, I think your 90’s are the worst. Old, can’t do much (not speaking for all old people), and your health insurance really doesn’t seem to like you anymore.

I am at the end of my 20’s (sigh) and I mostly liked them. I don’t expect anything magical to happen when I turn 30.

LOL!

Typically, a sugar daddy is a wealthy older man who financially supports a younger woman. He gets sex and companionship, she gets her living expenses covered (in style). Sometimes it happens in reverse (older woman, younger man), but the term “sugar momma” isn’t as common … at least, as far as I know. :slight_smile:

Ooo! I need one too, then.

Thanks for the explanation.

My 20’s were rather difficult as well…Let’s see, I got divorced when I was 20 (yeah, I was married at 16, so the divorce was actually a good thing), and had two kids to take care of. I’d finished a stint training as a Medical Assistant, so I worked at that for a few years. When I was about 25ish, I started a Community College and worked my ass off, driving a school bus during the morning and afternoon (it actually paid better than being a Medical Assistant, plus the hours worked with my classes) and pulling classes every semester. Because I worked 25+ hours per week, and had two kids to take care of, it took me a bit to get through my classes, but I did okay. When I was 27, I had a baby (as a result of a very short term relationship), so then I had three kids to take care of, in combination of working and going to school. Nothing like have a four month old, who is teething all night, and having to get up at 6 am to make a bus route, then take an Algebra test. We pretty much lived on food stamps (thank god for them, or we’d not have eaten) and the kindness of friends who picked up some slack when the chips were really down. We didn’t have much money (and lived in the south), so our house, although clean, was usually roach infested and poorly heated/air conditioned (depending on the season), but my kids were fed, and clean, and well behaved. I drove a Toyota Camry that I pretty much drove into the ground, I put so many miles on it, and it got me from point A to point B most of the time.

Things improved when I hit 30. I moved to another state (leaving the roaches behind), graduated college from a fairly well known school, got an incredible job, got the two older kids through high school and off to college. I haven’t used food stamps in a long, long, time, but there isn’t a time when I’m in a grocery store that I don’t recall the humiliation of using them. I don’t worry about buying the kids shoes or winter coats anymore, and a drive through meal at McDonalds for my son doesn’t bring a bout of paranoia of how I’m going to come up with gasoline money since I bought something else. My son (the baby) goes to a private school, even though he gets a partial scholarship, I’m thrilled to be in a position to be able to pay for it. I don’t stress out over going to the doctors because now I have insurance, and hey, I can pay the co-pay.

I didn’t wait, or even look, for someone to bail me out those horrible years during my 20’s. What I did, and having lived throught it all, made me who I am today approaching my 40’s. And I didn’t stress out over having missed much, or not having as much fun as I thought I ought to be having. There’s still the opportunity today to have as much fun as I want, and to take advantage of things today that I could never even have imagined 20 years ago.

My, this is rather long…I apologize.

I’m in my early 20’s and I’m having a difficult time with a few things…but nothing too horrible.

I don’t know a lot of people my own age and the people who are my age that I come across I don’t really fit in with. Most of my friends are 8 to 15 years older than I am. My age seems to be an issue as of late, and its really pissing me off. Its not how I act, but how other people react. I was out with my roommate (who is 7 years older) and some of her friends last Saturday. I had been out with them before and had fun, so this didn’t start out any different. These women are all in their early to mid-thirties, and as it turned out, they thought I was around the same age.

When my age of 21 was revealed (I blame Dave Matthews, somehow this all happened over him), it was outright shock from the group (not counting my roommate, who I guess never told them).

“You look young, but I just figured you were older! Oh my God, you’re a baby!”

After being included in their group and conversations and really having a good time, I was ignored for the rest of the night. Not the reaction I was expecting.

Most of my problems are social, and I don’t like to drink…which I’ve found is a serious problem in Seattle. All anyone wants to do around here is bar-hop and go to clubs…

I can’t wait for school to start in the fall. I have a feeling things will get better after that.

I really wish someone had told me that before I turned 40… like, say, when I was 12.

After cracking down on myslef pretty hard last year, the spending is definitely under control. I make a decent amount, but it’s expensive to live in this city.

The only thing I won’t give up is the coffee habit, a girl has to get her joy from somewhere :slight_smile: I did switch from starbucks to a cheaper (and better, yay!) shop near my job.

Don’t apologize, it’s a good story. Things were actually quite good for me for a while, then I went home and my dad started on the MD thing. My roommate is in a similar place where her parents can’t be happy that she is going to law school beacause it’s not the one they wanted her to attend. I think we just got tired of bitching at one another and thought a cathartic post was needed.

Oh dear have you been misled. These things do resolve themselves, but not until much later usually. The morning of your death, actually. Sometimes not even then.

I guarantee you in 15 years you’re going to be wishing for the good ol’ days when you didn’t have three kids and a husband who just got laid off and a mortgage and a boat to pay for and car loans and student loans and crappy co-workers and conferences you are required to attend and the sink’s broken again and you’re going to have to get off your butt and fix it yourself because there’s no one else to call for help anymore.

The sugar-daddy thing was a joke. I’ve actually had quite a few older (or should I say “distinguished”) men hit on me when I’m out and about. If it was something I really wanted to happen, I’m sure it could. Since it resembles prostitution in a few more ways than I care for, I’ll skip it.

Does that mean I don’t get my picture?
:frowning:

Hey, now, you don’t worry about things like school and rent and your parent’s expectations. You have new, exciting things to worry about like heart disease, cholesterol, aching joints…

Seriously, TwoOnSunday, life truly is what you make it, and once you’re out of your twenties, it seems like you develop a better sense of yourself and what’s important to you. It feels like you fit in your own skin better, you know?

Being in your twenties may suck, but my twenties are awesome. It probably helps that I don’t like to go barhopping or party like crazy (bars are expensive). And in other good news, I’m getting a boat!

Hmm…

The prediction won’t work for you, Walrus, since you are getting the boat now while you are IN your twenties. In 15 years, you will be thinking one of these three things:

1. Man, I love still love that boat! And doesn’t it look great! And it’s all paid off!!!

2. Man, I wish I hadn’t gotten rid of that boat.

3. Man, I wish that g-d boat would sink.

Hopefully for you it will be #1. :slight_smile:

Clue #1: Nothing “resolves itself.” You may be able to resolve some things, but you have to DO it.

Clue #2: You think being young is bad? Try being old. Try having every body system break down on you, one at a time. Try being resigned to having one or more things hurt, every day.

So, no one can tell you you don’t have a clue. You now have two of them. You’re welcome.

Well, the hardest part for me is learning a lot of harsh lessons about starting a career and having it take off. Nothing is ever simple or straightforward, and the more you expect it to be, the more discouraged you will become when things don’t go the way you thought they would.