Best #1 single of the year retrospective: 1961

Lots of great songs in this list, but I went with Will You Love Me Tomorrow – it was the first song by an all-girl group to hit #1. I didn’t know it was produced by Bob Crewe.

It wasn’t. The Four Seasons’ 1968 version of the song was.

You’re quite right – I mis-read my reference. Thanks!

For me it was a tossup between Ray Charles and Dion. Had to go with Dion though because he’s from The Bronx. And he’s still kickin’ it at 75: Runaround Sue

Too much good stuff: Runaround Sue, Runaway, Travelin’ Man

In the end Ricky Nelson wins it for me.

It was a tough choice between Dion and Ray Charles. So I went with The Lion Sleeps Tonight.

An interesting mix of great stuff and utter cheese.

I voted for Roy Orbison, who’s one of my favorite singers ever. Del Shannon was a clsoe second.

Dude that was awesome!

This isn’t heavy metal, but it gets pretty close to your “heavy ballad” criterion and substitutes organ for the horns. I’ve always thought it was a very worthy alternate interpretation of the song.

The Animals – Hit the Road, Jack
EDIT: Oops, rereading the post, it appears it was “Runaway” you wanted to get this treatment and not “Hit the Road, Jack.” Oh well, good excuse to promote The Animals anyway!

BTW, the solo in Del Shannon’s “Runaway” was played by any electronic keyboard called a Musitron.

Anything by Ray Charles pretty much wins automatically. In the words of Flip Wilson,

Columbus: If I don’t discover America, there’s not gonna be a “Star-Spangled Banner,” no land of the free or home of the brave—and no Ray Charles.
Queen Isabella: Ray Charles? You gonna discover Ray Charles? He in America?
Columbus: Damn right. Where all those records come from.
Queen Isabella: Chris gonna find Ray Charles! He goin to America on that boat!