Best #1 single of the year retrospective: 1966

Paint It Black wins a tight one over Sound of Silence, We Can Work It Out, and You Keep Me Hanging On. If we were voting for worst song, I don’t know if Hanky Panky or Cherish would “win.” Probably Cherish is worse, because HP is more just a novelty song.

Aw man, your last year was such a tough decision I just couldn’t decide. And now this.
Paint it Black. I think. But, but…96 Tears. Sound of Silence. Reach Out. So much great music!

I saw the Troggs perform Wild Thing live, sometime in the late 1970’s. All I recall was that one number was great, everything else they did on stage that night was really, really forgettable.

What a choice. “Good Vibrations” clearly stood out for me. I can’t even imagine how awesome that must have sounded in 1966. So that’s my vote. ? and the Mysterians would have been my number two.

Having grown up during this period, I would say you are correct. “Good Vibrations” was so revolutionary that most people didn’t get it until years later, when they had heard all the music Brian inspired with that song and the rest of Pet Sounds.

[obsessiveness]

A lot of people in this thread, including the OP, have referred to the “Sound of Silence”.

It is the Sounds of Silence.

[/obsessiveness]

Mind you, it is a great song no matter how you spell it.

So much music here that I dearly love. I, along with at least 5 others, voted for the Lovin’ Spoonful.
Good to know there are a few others who share my taste.

As your own cite mentions, it was released under both titles. I remember having [this sheet music](http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjEy/z/mwoAAOxylk1RfiYS/$(KGrHqV,!k8FEL89TNcHBRfiYSJ+v!~~60_35.JPG) when I was learning guitar circa 1970.

I had to go with Paperback Writer. Great riff, great hook. But lots of amazing songs here. Except for Lightning Strikes, a song which really should have been left back in 1955.

A lot of great stuff that year, which I remember well as the summer before I joined the military. Monday, Monday introduced the great Mama Cass and the great harmony of that group. Paint It Black became a Vietnam anthem. I went with Sounds of Silence; great writing, great harmony, great guitar work, and great album.

“Ballad of the Green Berets” sticks out like a sore thumb on that list. What a weird number 1.

The actual lyrics to the song refer four separate times to the “sound” singular of silence. Good enough for me.

I’m voting for it because nothing else sounded like it, before or after.

I’m a lifelong Beatles fanatic, and consider Brian Wilson’s 1960’s work to be nothing less than genius, but I have to vote for the single that became my favorite song for a year or two:
Summer In The City.

Holy crap this was a great year for music.

Tough, tough choice. Some great songs on that list (and a few pieces of crap).
I went with “Paint It Black,” one of the Stones’ all-time greatest works. But ask me tomorrow and I might choose Simon & Garfunkel, the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Percy Sledge, or the Four Tops, depending on my mood.

I have to say I’m surprised there’s not more love for one of Frank Sinatra’s most iconic standards.

Impossible year! I went with Reach Out because, well, because…

We Can Work It Out, Good Vibrations, Sounds of Silence, Summer in the City, Paint it Black, These Boots are Made for Walking, Can’t Hurry Love? I unofficially voted for those, too. :slight_smile:

Clicked my vote for Sounds of Silence expecting it to be an also ran behind the usual suspects, good to see it getting the respect it deserves!

This is a really tough one. My shortlist:

The Beatles - “We Can Work It Out”
The Mamas & the Papas - “Monday, Monday”
The Beatles - “Paperback Writer”
Frank Sinatra - “Strangers In The Night”
The Lovin’ Spoonful - “Summer In the City”
Donovan - “Sunshine Superman”
The Four Tops - “Reach Out I’ll Be There”
The Supremes - “You Keep Me Hanging On”
The Beach Boys - “Good Vibrations”

Strangers in the Night I suppose.

I have no idea how I’ll pick one song frmo 1967, possibly the best year for music ever.

I went for Good Vibrations, simply because it was such a ground breaking song in terms of composition and recording.

I almost went with “Monday, Monday,” because I remember what a hit it was at the time. But that was beaten by “The Sound of Silence.”

Where is “Nowhere Man”? Wasn’t it a #1? I was all ready to vote for it.

In its absence, it’s a tough choice - so many songs that are great in different ways. I could choose a number of different songs, depending on my mood.

Right now, though, I think “Sounds of Silence” is just too iconic to pass by.

ETA: didn’t want to check the voting until after I’d voted, but I figured that “Good Vibrations” would do well. I’m kind of surprised that “Sounds of Silence” is up there with it, well ahead of “Paint It Black” and the Beatles songs.

I’m still disappointed that I couldn’t have voted for “Nowhere Man,” though.