Best #1 single of the year retrospective: 1993

And thereafter, the American people came to their senses, and never again did a mediocre reggae song by a white Canadian guy make it to #1.

Oh, wait.

Easily the worst year so far, but I want to vote in every year, so I held my nose and went with UB40, the least offensive among these choices IMO.

Likewise, an insipid cover of an Elvis song it may be, but at least I don’t retch when hearing it.

Care to tell us at work what that link is?

It’s a link to that horrible “I’m gonna marry her anyway” song. The actual title is “Rude”.

Gah! ‘Popular music’ in the '90s really sucked, didn’t it?

Meat Loaf is the clear choice here, not because his song is that good, but because the competition is that bad…well, not so much ‘bad’ as simply ‘meh’.

Elmer Fudd’s favorite guitarist.
mmm

Took me about 15 seconds, but well done. :slight_smile:

I’m still trying to think, gun-to-head, who I would vote for. And I still don’t know.

Damn this is a terrible selection.

OK, just for the sake of Dolly the great songwriter, I’ll go ahead and give it to IWALY. But it’s almost damning with faint praise.

I give Meat Loaf props for making to #1 at a time when his hey day had long gone and his type of music was not part of the mainstream.

More like praising with faint damns, but yeah, that was my thinking too.

Well, that’s it. Finally hit the year where I’ve not heard *any *of the songs, or at least have no memory of ever hearing them, and so can’t vote. There’s a big hole in my knowledge of pop songs and it seems 1993 is the year the bottom dropped out. I will probably have at best spotty recollections, or no recollections at all, for the rest of the '90s and well into the '00s.

I chose Snow’s “Informer” because some men just want to watch the world burn.

Damn I voted for Silk and didn’t even see SWV there! Man. Weak is a good song. I almost went for Janet or Mariah, but I jumped at Silk. Damn I wish I paid more attention. (I mean not really that invested in my vote)

Had to go with A Whole New World, since I don’t see much else I like.
Even though a few surveys ago I thought “I like Nelson, and I am not ashamed to admit it,” when pressed, I just don’t have the balls to vote for Meat Loaf. That was definitely the song of the year but I couldn’t pull the trigger. :shame smiley:

And some men just want to licky boom-boom down.

Except that I do know how “I Will Always Love You” goes—I even went to see that movie— but its #1 position was carried over from the end of the preceding year, and anyhow I wouldn’t count it as a favorite.

It’s too bad some of the early grunge didn’t hit #1. These songs just suck.

It’s still hanging onto rich, white Republican party dance lists. Hence it’s survival.

Informer, not because it doesn’t suck, but because it would be good for a laugh.

Fuck Meatloaf, well other than his Awesome role as Bob in Fight Club anyway.