Best #1 single of the year retrospective: 1996

As I’ve mentioned before, the big difference in this era was that the record labels were very selective in which songs they actually issued as physical singles, because, although singles had ceased to be profitable at this point, Billboard still required that a song have a single release before it was eligible for the Hot 100. “Don’t Speak” by No Doubt was #1 on the airplay chart for a then-record-setting 16 weeks in 1996, but it never appeared on the Hot 100 because it was never issued as a single. It has been stated that, if Billboard had allowed airplay-only songs to chart at the time, it would have made #1. The rule was finally changed in 1998, though it isn’t until 2000 that an album cut made #1.

California Love is genius. The Crossroads was also very intelligent and innovative.

Well I guess it’s good to finally have the year I completely lost touch with top 40 music pinpointed. Like others, “Macarena” is the only song I recognize.

And we reach the point in time where Ponch8 and I are reduced to the same choice.

Right, and that would distort my judgment since it’s the one that imprinted on me harder. The version that topped the US chart got a bit of kitchen sink effect thrown in IMO. I’m with the group for whom that and Unbreak My Heart are the ontly two things we recognize off the bat upon reading the list. Which makes this ballot about as dreadful to gaze upon as they come.

I went with Mariah and Boyz II Men. That’s a great ballad.

This batch is so bad that I voted for Toni Braxton’s *Un-Break My Heart *…

I accidentally voted for “How Do U Want It” instead of “California Love”, but to be honest, I don’t really care.

“California… is nice to the homeless.
California… super cool to the homeless.
In the city, city of Venice,
Down by Matt’s house, you can chill if you’re homeless…”

I know Macarena, but not sure about this version. That’s all I know.

Holy shit music is terrible now. I just looked ahead. I’m not voting any more, ever.

I was going to write that. Thanks for saving me some typing.

Wow, huge difference indeed. This song is miles above the ones that are listed.

I can’t; it scares me.

Yup, hence I had to vote for the Macarena. It’s sort of like picking the Hokey-Pokey as number 1 for a year, but what else is there?

Regards,
Shodan

Not votin’. Not even for Macarena.

I would like to say that I wouldn’t listen to these songs if you paid me to… But in '96, I worked at the campus bookstore and they picked the radio station.

the only song I have even heard of is the horrible Macarena.

No vote

Yeah, DOn’t Speak is pretty good.

BTW, I think it would be cool for those who aren’t happy with the choices to propose alternatives. Not stuff to go into the poll, but just to remind us of better music that was available at the time. But only stuff that got serious airplay and sales. I’d love to cite Hammerfall’s Glory to the Brave as the greatest album of 1996, but that’s kinda obscure to non-metalheads and even some metalheads.

Especially during this period when songs were #1 for an ungodly amount of time, sometimes some better songs would get locked behind them in the top 5 for almost as insane a number of weeks.

Interesting to see how technicalities change the numbers.

I’m not really a fan of either that band or song… but it is at least something I would have been willing to vote for.

I’ve been hesitating to do this because I don’t want to be seen as derailing the thread, but I’d also like to see what people recommend.

Hammerfall is a solid choice for that year.

I would tend to go with Metallica’s “Load” album if we’re picking a whole album. I know that makes me a heretic among die-hard Metallica fans, but as far as I’m concerned Metallica starts with the Black album. I like the newer, more progressive sound.

Tool released Aenima in 1996. Most of the album is not so good, but if I had to pick a single song from 1996, it would probably be the title track. Best line from a song ever: “I’ve a suggestion to keep you all occupied: Learn to swim.”

Didn’t Journey’s Trial By Fire come out in 1996? I thought that was a great Journey album and “When You Love a Woman” had decent chart success.

Huh. I’m a casual fan (and I enjoy everything through the black album), but I would say their earlier sound was more “progressive,” not the other way around (at least Metallica, Load, Reload. The last two they seemed to want to recapture their old progressive spirit.)

I’m still stunned at the Macarena. I mean, seriously guys? California Love is a great fucking song, no caveats like “in 1996” or anything. It’s solid. Classic.