Best #1 single of the year retrospective: 1998

One Week was good, but Lauryn Hill was great.

After you listen to “One Week” enough times you realize it doesn’t really have a melody.

Of course, I’m Canadian, and I’d heard all kinds of BNL stuff before “One Week” so its quirkiness and joie de vivre, rare things in pop music, were already a pretty well known quality to me and most people in Canada. So it can’t get my vote.

Lauryn Hill had a brief peak, but oh my God, what a peak. “The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill” is music as it finest. I don’t even think this was the best song on the album but it was awesome.

Totally agreed. “Ex-Factor” is my non-controversial favourite, but it’s a great album overall.

Edit: I haven’t looked ahead, but I hope Missy and Kelis had some No 1 hits in the US

Oooh! A song I like, I own the album, and it’s even in the lead! And nobody’s chosen that abortion, “Candle in the Wind 1997!” Yeah, Elton poured his heart and soul into that one. “Hey Bernie, throw together some new lyrics before the funeral, 'kay?”

Well, since you asked;

Nope. Missy Elliot peaked at #2 with “Work It”, and Kelis at #3 with “Milkshake”.

I clicked. :mad:

I went with none, truly madly deeply a crap year.

Easy one for me: Will Smith returning to the top of the charts was a welcome change of pace.

To my surprise, I voted for *The Boy Is Mine *

I didn’t care for it at the time and I still don’t think it’s great by any means but at least the chorus is nice, making the song half memorable.