Best act of corporate revenge you’ve seen

Yeah sorry. Poor sentence construction.

Working at my parents business, I got so mad at my stepmother that I quit, bought out a competitor, then lobbed bids at my parents clients for a couple of years (winning some) until they bought me out a couple of years later with me rejoining the parents firm.

I did something like that once, except I wrote a script that would make the computer randomly beep. He could figure out ways to stop it, but every day or so I would restart the program.

Just to say that my section got a/c only though the door to the other section, which some ‘person’ decided to close which i decided to punch holes in the a/c vent. No problem going forward - for me.

This is the greatest post/avatar combo I’ve seen yet.

Several apocryphal stories of a roughneck on an oilrig dropping a wrench into the well. Said roughneck spends al his time helping both shifts trip pipe with a fishing assembly to get the wrench out and the rig back on track. Once the wrench is fished on the magnet the client company man hands the wrench back to the roughneck and says ‘Here’s your memento now get off my rig to the helicopter, you are fired ( with suitable sweary embellishment, not that it is the clients’ rig or his place to fire anyone, but hey, apocryphal story) ". The roughneck take the wrench, tosses it back into open hole and walks off the floor, to cheers from the rest of the crew.

Most likely not true, but it should be.

an old lady I knew had been working/running an old Mexican lunch stand for as long as anyone could remember because her and another lady started it using homemade recipies

Well after 20 years or so grandson decides hes going to be the next taco bell “modernize the place” fired everyone and changed décor

He didn’t know that in true aubelita style no one wrote the old recipe’s down and everyone who did know them were loyal to her like godfather mafia style so they either quit or wouldn’t tell him anything so after all the homemade sauces and the like ran out he couldn’t remake them and she wasn’t around to ask because she was visiting relatives “in retirement”

os after a few dismal reviews and "you killed our tamales ect " and money on loans for all the new stuff lost grandson was told by hisd family to hit the bricks and gave her majority ownership on the place she came back and there was a fiesta pinatas and even a bounc castle the loan was repaid in 4 months

A local bar/restaurant had been around forever. It went on the market and a woman purchased the place for her adult son. He’d had trouble keeping jobs, and his mom thought this would be something he could do for the rest of his life.

A friend got a job Bartending there and I become a customer. I checked in there on Facebook and friends of mine began patronizing the place. They were actually busy most days, they’d become “a thing”.

Then it became apparent why the owner had trouble keeping jobs. Just as things were taking off his mood changed and he began firing people for no reason. Cooks who had worked there for decades, and lived next door, were fired for imagined slights. My buddy was fired for not serving a minor (the owner’s friend’s son). Eventually he fired his mother who worked without pay, when she tried to intervene in his craziness.

Everyone stopped going there. He stopped paying his bills. His car was repossessed and his liquor license pulled. From start to finish this all happened over a three year period. The guys mom was a great person, I really feel sorry for her.

I don’t have any stories myself, but there is a good one in the book Bad Blood, the one about Theranos, the failed and fraudulent blood testing company. The company’s second in command and boyfriend of Elizabeth Holmes was so egotistical and paranoid that he insisted on being in charge of the daily meetings of the engineering team, despite having no engineering background. As a result, he would just spout corporate jargon and repeat whatever technical term was being used most that day. The engineers started peppering their speech with nonsense words and, as expected, he began parroting the gibberish.

I don’t think so. I think he got canned for just being a general lazy, sloppy fuck. But yeah, it would have been cool if I had anything to do with it. I loathed that guy.

Very, very small scale (one perp, one victim, both my boss), but effective.

Years and years ago I worked front-line tech support for a bank. One small part of my job involved upgrading a software package we sold to certain clients when upgrades were needed. To highlight the ridiculousness of this, we’re talking about a 2-floppy disk installation on Windows 3.1, so the “upgrade” process is as follows: insert disk, File > Run > a:\setup, await message to change disks, change disks, click “OK,” await message that setup is complete, eject disk, reboot. But they paid to fly me all over the eastern US to upgrade several of our clients’ installations anyway. As the result of a past merger, this bank had dual headquarters in Winston-Salem, NC, and Atlanta, GA. One of our clients was just outside Atlanta, so rather than take a commercial flight, my boss decided to treat me to a round trip on the corporate jet which made daily trips between the two headquarters cities. Oh, and he was going to accompany me on the client visit, too.

We get to the client site, and I get to work; it’s 4:30-ish and the normal process takes 20 minutes tops. As soon as I’m at the keyboard, the client shakes hands, thanks us, and leaves. Well, OK, I guess you have stuff to do. Then, for reasons I don’t recall, things aren’t working right for this install, and we’re still there at 5:00, when everyone else who works there starts leaving. Then my boss decides that the problem is the modem, despite the fact that this software would gladly connect remotely over two tin cans and a string. So I start troubleshooting the modem with basic AT commands. No evidence of trouble. But he’s not convinced, so he starts roaming around the office looking for another PC with a modem. Which he finds. Which he then directs me to swap out for our guy’s modem. To no avail.

By this point, the security guard has said good night, told us the door will lock behind us, and we are alone in this building. So my boss (whom I will call Jae because that was his name and he’s a jackass so I don’t care if you know his name) goes looking for the local IT guy’s office, thinking there will be something we can use there. And damned if he doesn’t find it: a faster modem! To replace a modem that wasn’t having any problems to begin with! But whatever angels kept this moron from driving into bridge abutments on a daily basis finally intervened and at last the software works the way it’s supposed to. Hosanna. Let’s get the fuck out of here, please, Jae. No, Jae is hungry. So hungry in fact, that while he was out of my sight, he had already called Papa Johns (I. Shit. You. Not.), so now we have to wait for the pizza to arrive. On the plus side, I learned that banana peppers aren’t too bad on a pepperoni pizza.

Skip ahead ca. 20 hours. I’m back at my usual workplace and on my way out the door but have to drop off something or other at my department head’s office. That is, Jae’s boss (whom I’ll call G because he was a fairly decent dude, and his initial is sufficient). G asks how everything went in Atlanta. And I see my chance. I commence to tell him of our adventures, being careful to always couch things in phrases meant to sound innocent while damning Jae as much as possible: “I was sort of surprised when Jae didn’t tell me to abandon the installation when all the other people in the office left” and “I guess everything was okay, because when the security guard left, he said the door would lock behind us” and “I’ve never had pizza delivered to an office before.” Toward the end of my tale, as G’s blood pressure had probably risen to perilous levels, (and I again have to stress that I. Shit. You. Not.) I notice his eyes pivot up from my face to what I had assumed was the open doorway behind me. Only it wasn’t. Jae had entered the room to see what was going on. Timing!

There used to be a character in Legion of Super-Heroes comics who was basically a hydrogen bomb inside a suit, and when he lifted up the faceplate on his mask, a blast of pure energy erupted from where his face should be. That was what happened to G: directly at Jae. I’m very happy I was not in the direct line of fire. Jae got a long and loud lecture about corporate liability, common sense, and setting better examples that I’m very happy to say I mostly heard about later, as I quickly excused myself.

Shortly thereafter, our entire department was reorganized and Jae, who had previously had 6 or 7 front-line folks reporting to him, basically had to take care of a small group of Linux boxes all by himself and we got a new leader.

Sorry to hear about this story. The son in this story was a clueless idiot, who should never have been entrusted with any kind of responsibility, especially not running a restaurant. This guy’s mother was a fool to let her son take the reigns here. This story makes me especially angry because I know a family whose lazy/entitled bum of a son took advantage of his mother for years. Sickening. People like this are good for nothing except taking advantage of others.

Once in a while (okay, more than once), people get into (and worse, kee) all kinds of high-ranking positions for which they aren’t qualified, and nobody else can figure out how it happened. I saw the “60 Minutes” story about her, and this is probably one of the most prominent cases of that. Guess I should read the book.

Keep, not kee.

Well, he may in fact have been crazy, and his mother not wanting to believe that his mental problem would prevent him from being capable.

I understand a mother’s hope in such a situation, but running a restaurant is a high-stress situation, and anyone prone to “cracking” ought to be doing something else.

I am dragged down to some extent by ADHD, and it’s unbelievable how much I attract well-meaning career advice from all sorts of people. Everybody knows just how to be me, it seems, except me. And the worst results of my life have consistently come from trusting the advice mavens; the best results have been from trusting my gut and getting into situations that feel right to me. When a son is under pressure to fix up his life, and his MOTHER has set him up in a ridiculously mismatched job, he’s in a serious bind; not trusting her is going to be judged uncaring and ungrateful and idiotic.