Best American Generals?

If I were a sniveling civilian protected by one unit of name your size, and surrounded by an overwhelming by the enemy, I’d hope Puller was in charge. If as that civilian I had to follow that unit on a desperate charge, same thing. And I gotta say, I’d hope it was a unit of Puller’s marines.

As for Ike, he didn’t command in the field. But he kept the Western Allies working together. The smoothness of how it went was a testament to his ability. Marshall was not wrong in choosing Ike. As for Pershing, he didn’t screw up WWI. He was successful in the Philippine campaign for his part. Chasing Poncho Villa was a waste of time, but he did manage to avoid disaster. His crowning achievement was his chosen officer corps after WWI were kept in the army and excelled for the most part in WWII. Yes, there were some less than stellar and some failures in choices, but far fewer percentage than the UK had.

I have to nominate Stormin’ Norman in Gulf War I. His feint right, attack left movement saved thousands of American lives and was absolutely brilliant…

Either that, or he gets the award for worst British general…

He didn’t come up with that strategy - that was Powell.

What about Bulldog Walker. Did fine in the Korean War…err Police Action, until he died in the least well timed traffic accident ever.

Jacob Devers did a fine job with Six Army Group. Better commander than Bradley at least.

If Confederates count as “American,” we probably have to throw Stonewall Jackson into the list. Yes, he had his lackluster days, particularly in the Seven Days campaign, but his Valley campaign is, by itself, superior to most generals’ entire careers, and he has other major successes as well: First and Second Manassas/Bull Run, Chancellorsville, and even his self-restraint in NOT ordering an attack at Fredericksburg (he wanted to, but recognized it would have been…bad.)

For “modern era,” I’ll nominate Raymond A. Spruance from WWII.

For “19th Century,” Adm. David G. Farragut.

I’m sorry, I have nothing to apologize except to say that I keep seeing this thread title as “Best American Genitals” and doing a double-take.

Oh those would be mine.
(my post is my cite)
::: flees:::

Benedict Arnold.

On land and sea.

He turned tide to our favor at Saratoga. He fought an important naval battle on Lake Champlain without really having a navy. Took Fort Ticonderoga. Wrote My Sharona. Ok well maybe not that.

Nathaniel Greene was a top-notch general. He also deserves credit for getting what is probably the biggest promotion in American history when on May 8, 1775 he was promoted from private to Major General.

He also commanded the 1775 expedition to capture Quebec. The expedition failed in capturing the city but considering the conditions it met along the way (it was an overland expedition from Boston to Quebec - in the winter time) Arnold deserves a lot of credit for reaching and being able to besiege the city.

All due respect to Chesty Puller but it was his boss, O.P. Smith, who really saved the 1st Marine Division in Korea. (And had his own great quote; “Retreat, hell! We’re not retreating, we’re just advancing in a different direction.”)

Not true. His behavior in the Philippines in 1941 was inexcusable.

I would recommand Robert L. Eichelberger, for your consideration.

Just read what Wiki had to say. I had never heard of the guy- what I find a bit strange is that MacArthur gave him a tough gig and then knocked him back for his Medal of Honor.

MacArthur was a douchecanoe. What else needs to be said?

I agree with Miskatonic. Eisenhower gave lots of credit to Bradley and Patton. Nimitz gave lots of credit to Halsey and Spruance. But as far as MacArthur was concerned, there was only room for one star in his theatre of war.

When reading this I found myself thinking of Alexander Vandergrift, who won the Navy Cross and Medal of Honor* for his leadership on Guadalcanal (and who should probably also be considered for inclusion on this list).

I seem to recall reading that MacArthur considered Vandergrift to be a publicity hound and glory hog. Pot, kettle; kettle, pot.

*Fortunately, since Vandergrift was a Marine, MacArthur couldn’t block it.

When he came to my attention I was quite impressed with vice AdmiralJohn Bulkeley. Medal of Honor during WWII and many years of service after.

Another flag officer that I have never heard a bad word about from those who served under him is LTG Hal Moore.His career speaks for itself.