Best and Worst Dean Koontz books

Yeah, Cold Fire is a Koontz book. I rather like that one too. False Memory is really good so far (3/4 done). It’s all psychological horror…really cool stuff.

Jman

I agree that Tick Tock sucked. I don’t even have the energy to put it in italics. It blew big time.

False Memory kicks major ass. I was totally aware of what was happening halfway through, so I had the heebie jeebies for the last 100 pages. Creepy stuff.

This is about his new one, “From the Corner of His Eye,” coming out the day after Christmas.

From http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0553801341/o/qid=975469027/sr=2-1/105-6219594-1209551

Follow the link for the rest of the plot; I don’t want to get in trouble with the mods. :smiley:

Anyway, what I meant to add last night was that I love how the protagonists in his books always have some disease or illness or mental problem. The plot is never just about them overcoming hardships, but also about them overcoming a problem that has always been there, like Chyna’s in Intensity.

I admit DK is an acquired taste. The first book I read was one about a boy who killed his little sister, or something like that. (Sorry so vague. ;)) I was ready to give up on him after that.

As has been seen there are differing likes and dislikes. I myself found Fear Nothing and Sieze the Night Tedious and boring but they are my sister in laws favourites.
My favourite novels are
False Memory
The Taking
the Husband
Velocity
Intensity
Odd interlude
Saint Odd
The house of thunder
Life expectancy
Lightning
Darkness under the sun (this is a novella like odd interlude)
Relentless
Novels that I enjoyed
Innocence
Your heart belongs to me
The good guy

Chase
Odd Thomas
Demon Seed
The face of fear
Watches
The bad place
The funhouse
Wintermoon
The novels I haven’t enjoyed
Breathless
What the night knows (but I loved the novella)
One door away from heaven
The key to midnight
The door to December
77 Shadow Street(this was improved by rereading on audiobook though)
Fear Nothing
Seize The night
Brother Odd

Watchers…is that the one with the golden retriever that has superhuman intelligence?

My bone of contention with Koontz books is I can never remember the titles because they’re all the same book.

Plucky heroine flees in the night. Unlikely hero catches up to her and assists her to expose the deep dark underbelly of whatever. Throw in a dog for good measure.

There was one with a woman who took drugs during her pregnancy and gave birth to four children, one of whom was a hermaphrodite and was able to impregnate him/herself.

Where was the Stephen King list?

Thread relocated from IMHO to Cafe Society, which did not exist when this thread was started way back in 2000.

I loved Watchers, Phantoms and Twilight Eyes.
Liked Cold Fire, Strangers, Lightning and Hideaway.
Thought the Frankenstein trilogy was okay.
Everything else ranges from meh to horrible.

I like the movie Odd Thomas. How is the series of books?

Presumably back in 2000 sometime.

Since this thread was started, there have been several other threads about Koontz, for anyone who’s really interested in seeing his writing discussed.

I’ve read the first 3 Odd Thomas novels and then I had to stop. Koontz has a problem with golden retrievers.

And it says something that I can accept a guy who talks to ghosts, who sees the supernatural, but a ghost dog puts me over the edge.

Aside from that they were enjoyable.

I haven’t read much other Koontz, but I enjoyed the novel about kids who move to a new town and then get fed growth hormones, but turn into monsters.

Dean R. Koontz and Dan Koontz are the same guy?

I wonder why he went from science fiction to horror.

I liked the Odd books.

Watchers
Seize the Night
Fear Nothing

Most of his books before 2000 (False Memory) or so were pretty good. My favorites being the mid to late 1980’s (Watchers, Strangers, Lightning etc). Most of his newer books have too many characters that serve mo purpose (usually an annoying kid) and the plots all seem to be the same. I still get them in hardcover, but rarely pay full price.

Watchers is the best book I’ve read period, by any author. I also liked Lighting. The ones I liked less were Odd Thomas and One Door away from Heaven. Having said that there are parts of One Door… that are absolutely hilarious, when the boy is trying to fit in socially.
Dean Koontz seems to get criticized for having dogs in his books. Being a fellow dog lover I LOVE that about his books (and there are a lot of people like me) Dean Koontz is one of my favorite authors, if not my favorite.

Have hardly read his entire catalog, but enjoyed most of the ones I have read. Haven’t heard anything about Mr. Murder which was my first Koontz book (actually part of a compilation) and made into a decent made-for-TV movie starring Steven Weber. I also really liked Watchers, Hideaway, Intensity, and One Door Away From Heaven (mainly because it was so different and funny as the last poster remarked). The one that was a drag, but cured my insomnia was Sole Survivor.

I was wondering where Velocity was, but this is an old thread. It came out in 2005 and had a Youtube trailer!