Best cheap new car

I have a 2012 Fiat 500 Pop with the manual transmission. It’s great. I get nearly 40mpg and I can drive it like a (weak) sports car if I want. Even though small, I only have trouble with space if I’m getting something long from a hardware store. (I do have to go through the trunk to get my toddler in and out when he’s not riding in mrs.gnu’s SUV.)

I haven’t had any major reliability issues, but a few non-essential electronics have stopped working like the built-in Bluetooth.

Matrix hasn’t been made since 2013, it’s been replaced by Corolla Hatchback or iM (previously Scion).

Avalon is starting at $35,000, at that point get a Lexus.

My vote is Corolla or Mazda 3. If you want a subcompact, I’ve heard the most raving about the Honda Fit. Apparently more storage than you’d assume.

There are enough terrible cars out there to suggest that the Versa is not the worst, but on the other hand it’s not very good. It is cheap though.

Personally it feels like the fit and yaris have more internal room than the civic and corolla. At least for the driver.

How well does she drive? If she’s a good driver, go with one of the small cars on this list. If she’s a poor driver (like many young adults) it might be wiser to get her a mid-sized car. They are significantly safer in real-world collisions with other cars.

I test-drove the Fit, and I was really impressed with how flexible the space was, and how much I could fit into the thing.

If it matters to you, you might also want to think of features which would make a cheap car more practical and economical in the long run. For example, a wagon or hatchback provides a lot more flexibility to transport things, which may mean less need to hire movers, rent a truck, or pay delivery fees. Getting the most common model of car means that it will be easier to find used parts in salvage yards. And if you get the most common color, it makes it even easier to find salvage body parts that can be directly swapped to replace panels damaged in an accident.

Very useful when a young person has to change abodes, which tends to happen a lot.

On December 31 The Missus picked up two base model Chevrolet Sparks for the boys (two of our kids showed both the inclination as well as the capacity for making car payments to secure dependable and presentable rides). She got 'em for just under $10k each. Closing in on the 1 year mark and the cars are standing up to the boys quite well.
New car. $10,000 (pay no attention to MSRP. Just go in at the end of the model year and say, “I’ll give you $X for that little orphan car.” The worst that’ll happen is they send you away, or say “OK, but you gotta take two for that price.”) Peppy performance, but nothing that’s going to get anyone in trouble.

Depends on what are your preferences.c For a city drive, Nissan Versa Note. Small and convenient plus gas saver. If you have a lot of highway miles than some sedan like Camry would be a good choice.

Was she buying 2016 models or 2017 models?

10k for a new car is impressive.

2017 models on December 31, 2017.
The weather was crappy, the cars were brand new base models (crank windows, manual transmission, manual locks…stuff you wouldn’t think manufacturers even messed with anymore), and The Missus is a formidable negotiatrix.

Conversation really did go something like:
“I’ll give you $X for that little bare bones Spark that nobody’s going to buy.”
“Well if I make that deal, you’ll have to take two of them off my lot.”
“OK, two then. But for $X-500 each. Because I’m giving you two sales and moving two old cars out of your dealership’s inventory.”

You wouldn’t normally think watching someone buy a car as being particularly entertaining, but TLC could do a reality show on her. All that tension they pretend to have on reality TV? Yeah, she brings that in real time. It’s crazy.