Best films of the 00s: Help me compile a master list

Precious

I’m glad someone finally mentioned Pride & Prejudice.

I’d like to add:

Howl’s Moving Castle
Under the Tuscan Sun
The 40 Year Old Virgin
The Family Stone

I haven’t seen these mentioned yet, but should be in a top 100

Sideways
Confidence

Payback - (ok, it’s 1999, but few remember it, and it’s going on my list.) :smiley:

I cannot endorse any list that includes Million Dollar Baby

(my anti-MDB rationale: 1, 2, 3)

Ah, why bother… I’ll buy a diner and eat pie…

I think “The Visitor” should be on this list, it is a very well acted, well written film (and upon scanning, I didnt see anyone else that had mentioned it yet).

“The Wrestler” (much like “Sideways” which has been mentioned already) was a really strong movie, that just happened to have no characters that were easy to sympathise with or really root for…

My nominees:

Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008)
The Others (2001)
Pineapple Express (2008)

I dont know if this is a hijack, (if it is just ignore me) or instead a good way to keep this thread going for a bit, but after I added my initial post, I went back and counted up how many of spoke-'s (the OP) top 100 films on his list I have ever watched.

I realise that I dont see too many movies these days, but I have only seen 19 of them so far…

Anyone else?

I wonder if I am well below the average, or about par with other Dopers?

ETA—I am counting the movies spoke- listed in his original post/list, not the ones he or others have since added.

I have seen 105 of the movies listed in spoke-'s OP.

I’ve seen about half (72) of the films in spoke’s original list. I wouldn’t say I was a particularly avid filmgoer.

The only film I would add is The Proposition.

Adaptation
All the Real Girls
American Psycho
Anvil! The Story of Anvil
Be Kind Rewind
Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead
Bella
Black Book
Catch a Fire
The Cats of Mirikitani
The Cave of the Yellow Dog
Duma
Far from Heaven
Flags of Our Fathers
The Gleaners and I
Gomorrah
Grace of My Heart
The Hurt Locker
Iron Man
Murderball
Shaun of the Dead
The Story of the Weeping Camel
Sukiyaki Western Django
Time of the Wolf
28 Days Later

Another I’d like to add.

**Bully **- 2002 (An actual murder in Florida of a high school bully (Bobby Kent) is the subject)

It was in the OP’s list.

And chiming in on the hijack, I’ve seen 56 of the films in the original list, which I thought was a tad low. There’s a bunch on there that are in my “To Watch” pile, but I just haven’t gotten to them yet.

I took a little more time and re-read spoke-'s list. I now see The Visitor is included, and have actually seen 21 of the movies he originally listed…

(and I now realise that there are more than 100 films on his list, and he is going to trim it down as he goes along)

My movie watching has been pretty sporadic as of late, so I may try to make the time to see some of the other films listed, as there are several that I have wanted to see but never got around to.

Some good suggestions here. Thanks for helping me pick up on some of the films I’d forgotten (or in a few cases, haven’t seen). I think I’ll begin winnowing to a top 50 based on what we’ve put together here, and I invite others to do the same.

And I just saw what might be my number one movie of the year: Bronson. With *Gomorrah*a close second.

Still refining the master list.

Breach deserves a mention.

The appearance of certain actors in a movie generally tells me it’s likely to be a good film. Chris Cooper is one of those. He makes some good choices.

Two more:

Flash of Genius
Mysterious Skin

Two more for the list:

Shattered Glass
Startup.com

Shattered Glass is an excellent choice. Completely forgot about that movie, but it’s very well done.

The Son

Ebert: