Best hiking within 1/2 day drive from Chicago.

I_Know_Nothing - How was your trip?

I’m looking forward to my trip to teh porkies in a few weeks

Brian

Awesome. I guess I posted a little summary in my BEAR! thread and didn’t get back to this one.

The Escarpment trail was definitely my favorite, just what I was looking for. My biggest day was the Government Peak Trail–>Escarpment Trail to Lake of the Clouds–>N Mirror Lake trail–>Government Peak Trail back to the trail head, no gear involved though. I also did the Summit Peak Loop, Overlook Trail, Union Mine Trail, and the Presque Isle River circle around the waterfalls which where hypnotizing. I took a little detour from the circle to where the river emptied out into Lake Superior.

I stayed at the Union Bay campground. I pulled in pretty late after traffic in Chicagoland, construction all along 43, and a hailstorm around Sheboygan. I don’t think I really needed the flush toilets and showers so I might try the other campground next time, or a remote one if I’m with others. I’m not sure I’m BEAR! confident enough to camp alone out in the bush yet.

More than anything else it was just a great refresher. Have fun!

I have hiked the Tecumseh Trail nearby (I seem to remember they may overlap part of the distance?), and it was fair to good. It seemed odd to me that there were so few water sources, for some reason I thought there would be more lakes and rivers.

The other odd thing about the Tecumseh is that it has one AT-style lean-to shelter, but it was unusable on my trip due to a cockroach infestation! How does that happen?

Cool. I found out the consession stand will do shuttling, so I’m thinking of getting a ride to the lookout tower then do Beaver Creek -> Little Carp -> Mirror Lake -> Escarpment -> Overlook

Brian

That’s good to know. I’m guessing the “concession stand” is at the visitors center?

This is what I know:
A concession store is located at the Union Bay campground area on M-107. Visitors can purchase firewood, ice, gifts and refreshments. Mountain bike, canoe and kayak rentals are also available. The concessionaire also provides shuttle service to all areas in the park. Make arrangements by calling (906) 885-5612. A limited number of Kayaks are available.

Brian

I cannot speak about the Upper Peninsula specifically, but IMO your assumption about using your car as a big bear-(not)proof canister is potentially a risky one.

Bears can break into cars easily (and expensively if you are the owner, since their preferred method is to lock their claws into the tops of door frames and bend them down like the tops of sardine cans), and they are known to smell food and toiletries stored in cars from considerable distances.

Not trying to alarm you. It may be common or even accepted practice to store food and supplies in cars in UP campgrounds, in which case please disregard my post.

But out west (Yosemite, Olympic, Glacier, etc.) in areas where black bears are common, this behavior is entirely discouraged.

I’d say check any available guidelines about food storage for the area that you select and follow them closely, whatever they are.

::EDIT:: I see you’ve already taken your trip. Sorry for chiming in late. ::EDIT::