Best movie version of A Christmas Carol?

The Alastair Sim version was on TCM last Sunday night.

This year I have watched half a dozen variations because I love the story, but the Sim movie is still the best.

Another vote for the Muppets. I love how Michael Caine plays his Scrooge straight against all the muppet-ness. You see his heart start to open as the night moves along.

My favorite is Albert Finney in the musical Scrooge. I don’t think I’ve seen Sim. Scott and Stewart are good. Magoo is fun.

For me, though, nothing beats those “Father Christmas” “Thank You Very Much” numbers with dancing in the streets.

The Sim version is the best.

There are quite a few problems with the Scott version, but the main problem is the characteristic you like about it. He’s too subtle. A bit more anger and fear from him would’ve been much better. A Christmas Carol is not a subtle character study. You say “cliche” or “cartoon”? I say “archetypal”. It really is more of a fairy tale with clearly defined roles. Without those roles the tension at the beginning and its release at the end, i.e., the peripateia, are much less. The dramatic impact is diminished.

The Reginald Owen version was on AMC this year. The last time I had seen it was in the 1980s. I had had good memories of it, but I was disappointed. It’s okay, but it clearly is not as good as the Sim version. Even the Scott version beats it. :slight_smile:

Nitpick: Stewart is an Officer of the British Empire (OBE), not a knight. Only a Knight Grand Cross (GBE) or a Knight Commander (KBE) is entitled to use the honorific “Sir” before his name. Stewart is entitled to append the initials OBE after his name.

Patrick Stewart knighted.

I’ll nominate the Doctor Who version, as no one else has yet. Only good Doctor Who Christmas special.

Obviously I missed that. Color my face red. My ignorance has been fought.

Alistair Sim version. No contest.

Best cinematic version: Alastair Sim
Best cinematic, color, made-for-TV version: George C. Scott
Best animated version: Mr. Magoo
Best human-puppet-musical version: Muppets

(I own all the above)

The Alastair Sim version.

However, I saw Patrick Stewart do his version on stage in a one man show in L.A. It was magnificent.

Personally I thought the Jim Carrey version was very well done. I liked it; although it’s not my “favorite.” To steal and reword from Pulp Fiction where Jules says “My girlfriend is a vegetarian; which pretty much makes me a vegetarian.” My wife’s favorite is the Albert Finney version; which pretty much means I my favorite is the Albert Finney version. :slight_smile: In other words; on something like A Christmas Carol; I don’t really have a 1 to N ranking of what’s best. I’m categorize them as Good - Acceptable - Not Enjoyable. I can watch all of the ‘Good’ ones with equal enjoyment.

Agree with the nomination - but must disagree that it was the only good one.

I don’t think I have a favorite. I like them all for different reasons.
We usually do a “Christmas Carol Film Festival” starting around Thanksgiving, and watch all the ones we have. One that I like a lot, but I think our VHS copy is trashed, is The Stingiest Man in Town, animated, with Walter Matthau as Scrooge.
I added a new one to the collection this year, a 1935 version with Sir Seymour Hicks. I put it on the other day, but mostly listened, as I was busy with things around the house. I’ll watch it soon, along with the Albert Finney, which nobody else in the family likes.

I watched the Alastair Sim version last night. It had been a long time since I’d seen it. I loved it but thought the last scene, in the office with Bob Cratchit, where he kinda’ fakes ol’ Bob out at first, fell very flat. He tells Cratchit that he hasn’t lost his mind, but to all appearances, he has. I think it would have been better if Scrooge had displayed a bit more of his new self beyond instructing Cratchit to go buy more coal for the stove. In other versions, don’t we see Scrooge partying with the Cratchit family as he does with the nephew in this version?

Yes, although that’s a deviation from the book. In Magoo and Muppet versions, Scrooge shows up at Cratchit’s door and does the fake-out “Cratchit! What’s the meaning of this!”, and then showers him with a Christmas feast & goodies & razzleberry dressing. Magoo dispenses with Nephew Fred altogether.

Muppets version. Maybe not as serious as others, but it’s true to the story and fun. Too many modern day versions have the outrageous presumption that they can top the original by adding stuff. But without fail they ruin it. The Muppets know just how far to go and stick to the plot.

Alastair Sim, no question. (And no color either, thankyewverymuch.)

I like the Scott version. For a number of reasons, but mostly because he doesn’t go completely off the deep end when he is reformed. He retains his dignity, unlike many another (Albert Finney dons a Santa suit, fer crying out loud!).

I very much like his appearance at Fred’s party, where he acknowledges that he was uncomfortable around Fred because of Fred’s strong resemblance to Scrooge’s beloved sister, now deceased. Fred’s welcome of his uncle to the family celebrations brings a tear to my eye, as family is something very important to me.

I also love his fakeout of Crachitt at the end. And EdWoodWoodWood is great.

All excellent points. Just saw the Scott version earlier this week after not seeing it for years and years and years… and loved it all over again. Did you know most of it was filmed in Shrewsbury, which is the town where Dickens gave the first public reading of A Christmas Carol? Also, the thinner of the two gentleman who ask Scrooge for a contribution to help the poor was played by Michael Gough, best known nowadays for playing Batman’s butler Alfred.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2011/03/alfred02michaelgough.jpg