Best of the Beatles: Revolver

Tomorrow Never Knows. I discovered this song backwards, never having the Revolver album or listening to the whole album, searching for the song after becoming familiar with it as amazingly covered by some others (Mission UK, Danielle Dax). An amazing timeless song.

She Said She Said. Modern and powerful almost-punk rock, with none of the frivolous whimsy that personally turns me off of much of the earlier Beatles, there’s no grinning and bobble-heading here.

“Tomorrow Never Knows” on the basis of Jimi Hendrix’s cover version :wink:

aaaghh… what to choose … this one… or this one… oh my, and what about… just too much…

This is the summit as a collection of tracks, the range and the quality are so good. You have here already everything that characterizes the second half of the career – in one place there’s pop, rock, experimental, “world” music, psychedelia, soul, social commentary, philosophy, heavy stuff, light stuff. It was released just as their final tour was winding down so it really was the take off point.

I’m stunned that TNN is running neck and neck with Eleanore Rigby. Happy, because I love the track, but surprised at the love it gets. I thought it had more of a cultish following and appeal.

Here’s great Junior Parker cover that the Chemical Brothers use to open their shows (they call TNN their manifesto…yet
another reason why the Chemical Brothers are awesome).

That’s in the great Cuaron film Children of Men.