Best of the Rest of the Top 40: 1990

Wow. I’m surprised some of those acts were still coming out with new stuff in 1990! Not a year I remember much of pop music since I was away part of it while in the Navy but I certainly do remember En Vogue. Mmmmm. They were delicious! Had to go with “Hold On” by them. The video with the one doing her little dance (and on I go into dreamland…)

I was hoping to see Michael Penn’s “No Myth” on this list, but it didn’t chart as high as I remembered. I voted for “Back to Life” in a tight one over “Pump Up the Jam” and “Don’t Wanna Fall in Love.”

Can’t believe “Roam” is winning by a decent margin. Hated that song. We got some B-52 fans here, huh?

Just watched the video with the four-year old granddaughter. She liked it. She got the two-claps one-clap pattern down!

I have terrible terrible memories of a summer job and an “Unskinny Bop” cassingle. Shudder. I was thinking 1990 was the year of Jesus Jones’ Right Here Right Now and EMF’s Unbelieveable (a #1 song), but they charted in 1991.

B-52s. If they weren’t on the list, I could have gone with Stansfield, Soul II Soul or En Vogue, but then I’d have had to think about it.

Michael Penn is still working and still putting out great stuff, I saw him live a few years back and it was a great show.

that said Back To Life is a totally underrated track and still shakes some ass these days. So my vote was easy this time around.

I went with “Pump Up the Jam” but could have easily voted for a few others, like “Roam.” These aren’t all-time greats, but I like most of these songs. I turned 12 in 1990 and life was pretty good.

If Jesus Jones was on this list, I would’ve voted for them. Since they were not, I voted for Roxette.

I love the term “cassingle” by the way.

There was some decent music from this year, but most of it was not on the pop charts.

e: Surprised that The Power isn’t doing so well. Are people still sick of it?

Apparently. Weird, because it’s an absolutely iconic song.