Best opening credits ever?

These, which besides being beautiful to look at, also prove that John Williams can write something *besides * fanfares.

The General’s Daughter. The whole plot is summed up in the first five minutes or so,(credits rolling) and in the backround plays the completely eerie **“Sea Lion Woman”. ** Totally sets the mood for the movie

Seconded.

*We apologise again for the fault in the subtitles. Those responsible for sacking the people who have just been sacked have been sacked.
Brilliant!

Funniest opening credits ever.

City Slickers has a really funny cartoon for its opening credits.

I’m suprised to hear people actually LIKED the opening credits to Superman. I remember seeing it for the first time and they seemed liked they just went on and on and on and on. I nearly fell asleep before the movie even started.

My favorites (and remember, we’re talking opening credits here not opening scenes) were North by Northwest which captured the fast paced daily rush of the streets of New York city in the 50s,
and Flash Gordon, that spun credits over the pages of classic Flash Gordon comics to the pumping Queen soundtrack.

The Shining … perfect stage-setting, putting you on the edge of your seat with nothing more than an overhead shot and Berlioz. You just know something unseemly is going to happen.

Holy shit! THANK YOU! That was one of my favorite films when I was growing up, but I hadn’t thought of it for years! Thank you for the reminder. I need to find the ancient videotape (taped off late-night TV).

I just looked for the DVD and found this. I don’t know how trustworthy this place is.

Oh, that’s a good one. A very good one.

The Dead Zone – best use of shards, ever.

I liked the opening credits for Men In Black, with the bug that winds up splattered on the windshield.

My all-time favorite:
The Wild Bunch

(unfortunately, the clip is truncated and leaves off the best part: “If they move, kill 'em” followed by “Directed by Sam Peckinpah”

I can’t find the whole thing

I like the credits for Almost Famous, handwritten by director Cameron Crowe with pencil on yellow legal paper. Great for he sound of the pencil on paper alone (plus the use of the eraser to correct the spelling of Frances McDormand).

For TV shows, **Get Smart ** has to rank up there.

This film doesn’t have any opening credits; however, I think it has the best opening sequence I’ve ever seen: G. I. Joe: The Movie

Saturday Night Fever

I thought the opening of Tenacious D: In the Pick of Destiny was pretty awesome, both the Kickapoo musical number and the tarot card credits.

Panic Room had some pretty cool opening credits.

Link although I don’t think this really gives off how cool they are.

Raising Arizona

Napoleon Dynamite has already been mentioned, so I’ll nominate The Court Jester.

The Pink Panther had a good sequence - the only one I know of that invented a character that got used in a TV series. (And commercials.) I saw the cartoon show long before I saw the movie and found out what the Pink Panther actually was.