Best opening lines/coda, novel?

I love Ruth Rendell’s opening lines.

“Eunice Parchman killed the Coverdale family because she could not read or write.” —A Judgement in Stone

“The winter before he was sixteen, Pup sold his soul to the devil.” —The Killing Doll

“Once, when Benet was about fourteen, they had been on a train together, alone in the carriage, and Mopsa had tried to stab her with a carving knife.” —The Tree of Hands

“Scorpio is metaphysics, putrefaction and death, regeneration, passion, lust and violence, insight and profundity; inheritance, loss, occultism, astrology, borrowing and lending, others’ possessions. Scorpians are magicians, astrologers, alchemists, surgeons, bondsmen and undertakers. The gem for Scorpio is the snakestone, the plant the cactus, eagles and wolves and scorpions are its creatures, its body part the genitals, its weapon the Obligatory Pain, and its card in the Tarot is Death.” —The Lake of Darkness.

I know that’s a mouthful, but I remember reading that for the first time when I was sixteen, in November, no less, having gotten it off the shelf of the living room where I was babysitting. Brrr.

I also love the opening sentence (paragraph, in fact) of The Chocolate War: “They murdered him”. “He” was just taking a particularly hard tackle during football tryouts, but I can’t think of a better way to set the tone of the story.

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.

HST

Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas

“This is what happened.” “The Mist” by Stephen King

And what about one of the best opening lines in all of literature?

“When Gregor Samsa woke up one morning from unsettling dreams, he found himself changed in his bed into a monstrous vermin.” The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

And a great ending…

Vladimir: Well? Shall we go?
Estragon: Yes, let’s go.

They do not move.

Waiting For Godot by Samuel Beckett

Are you a medievalist, too?

The Crow Road by Iain Banks:

“It was the day my grandmother exploded.”

Close of Shikasta, by Doris Lessing.

This one’s pretty obscure, but it’s my all-time favorite novel:

--Billy Lee Brammer, *The Gay Place*

There follows the most breathtaking description of the Central Texas landscape, but if I attempt to quote more I’ll get caught up in the book yet again, and there will go the next two days.

BTW, if you look into this book, just so you’re not misled it has nothing to do with homosexuality. The title is lifted from a Fitzgerald poem.

Most pretentious opening line :

“I was born in the house my father built.”

RN : the Memoirs of Richard Nixon

“Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring!!!”

Native Son, by Richard Wright