Best place to live for little money?

It sure does. I withdraw my suggestion of Indonesia pretty much entirely. This it not to say that foreigners shouldn’t raise children in Indonesia, (heck, I raised my son there for 11 years of his childhood), BUT you should be married local; possessed of substantial economic, psychological, and/or linguistic resources; planning to stay only for a few years; or home-schooling – preferably several of those characteristics.

Don’t go to Iowa City if you have this in mind. It’s the most expensive city, rent-wise, in Iowa, and it has some bad pockets, which was not the case when I lived there in the early 1990s. :frowning:

The rural Midwest can be very cheap living if you’re able to drive distances for necessities, or be able to order them via Amazon, etc.

I think much of the rural Southern US would be ideal. Heating expenses in the winter aren’t too high and smaller houses can be had for $100,000 or less.

You also have to balance the exact location with what goods and services you need though. If you need hospital visits and the nearest hospital is an hour away then it might not be ideal.

Yes. I specifically listed that one because it would be very desirable, but not cheap.

So, you’re saying a person can eat hormone infused chicken every night on cheap, crappy dinnerware from China? Sign me up!!

My brother retired to Costa Rica about 3 years ago. However, he and his wife bought land several years before they moved. Land and lumber prices were lower but have steadily increased since. The universal health care is a nice bonus. They’ve both obtained permanent residency status so no more quickie trips to Panama. They both come back to visit (and to stock up on supplies they can’t get there) at least once a year. In fact, my brother just left to go home this morning. They typically plan ahead and get good airfares so it’s not a big cash drain.

There’s a not a ton of things to do, but my brother’s biggest hobby is cycling, so he only needs halfway decent roads for that. He has acclimatized though – he was freezing until our recent heat spell and the temps got over 90 F.

As for Costa Rica, I had an Anthropology prof who loved the place, so much so that he moved his 80-something-year-old mother down there along with his girlfriend. And I’ve heard good things about Belize myself too, with Belize City making it to at least one top-15 list of places for Americans to retire.