Best small SUV under 15k?

I have a 2010 RAV4 Sport with a V6 engine. It is very fast for that class of vehicle and can do just about anything. Mine has 168,000+ miles on it and I keep thinking about getting a new vehicle but there is nothing really wrong with it. I live in New England and it has good snow performance too. Mountain roads aren’t an issue at all either. The only issues I have had are with the brakes but they were pretty cheap to fix. The engine and transmission run at least as smoothly as the day I got it and I can beat old muscle cars in a drag race. There should be some of those around for well less than 15K in good condition and low miles but Toyota stopped making the V6 version years ago for some reason.

I am very happy with my 2007 CRV. The design has changed substantially since then though, I think the newer ones are smaller inside, and given how much smaller the windows are, the visibility has to be even worse, which is my one complaint. When I was shopping for used ones, every car I saw had rear quarter panel damage. The blind spots on the back windows were the same ones on the backup camera. :smack:

Otherwise though, it’s luxuriously comfortable and quite reliable. I bought it two years ago with (i think?) 86k miles on it. I haven’t had a single problem.

Caveat emptor and all that.

Well if that is true, “true SUVs” are getting rarer. Body on Frame is usually only on the largest of SUVs (Suburban, Tahoe, Expedition, 4Runner, etc.).

The article is interesting, and it lists all the body-on-frame SUVs left.

Sorry about the Highlander recommendation. I must place a higher value on quality and less on exciting.

If you liked your Vibe, the Toyota Matrix was made up until 2013. It’s the same car mechanically as the Vibe, although an updated model for both came out in 2009.

The typical buyer of a RAV4 is a woman who cares about overall cost and fuel economy more than preformance. Less than 10% of buyers opted for the V6 and it was a chore fitting it into a compartment designed for an I4, so Toyota finally stopped bothering when the new model came out in 13

I guess my thinking is that if it’s a part, it can break. I don’t like think that essentially my entire car will be destroyed if a single chain breaks. Looking at this list about half the engines out there are non-interference, including all used in the RAV4

For context, my father’s Neon timing belt was replaced on schedule but instead a bolt on a tensioner broke, leaving me stranded 500 miles from home for 5 days.

And the winner is…none of.the above. We decided to go with a mid-sized sedan and opted for a 2014 Hyundai Sonata.

Two months ago I ended up with a 2012 Rav4 with 54K miles for $12,500. CR recommended, and that model year is in US News & World Reports top ten used SUVs to buy.

StG