Best tear-jerking line(s) in a modern movie.

If you think that scene is good in the Disney version, you should see the Charles Laughton version. I get goosebumps just visualizing it.

Best line in the movie. One of the best movie lines of the past 20 years.

By the way…isn’t there an AFI Top 100 Movie Lines tomorrow?

Yeah, when it was in theaters, I went to see it alone, and was sitting in the aisle with a bunch of high school kids and was positive they were going to start ragging on me for crying, but when I looked over, they were all crying too.

I put the DVD in recently just to check out a new TV, and couldn’t even make it to the opening credits, for the same reasons you mention. I think part of the reason the water looks so realistic in that movie is because my eyes are filled with it the whole time.

AND, I had put in The Life Aquatic a while ago to make sure I was quoting that line right, and even just that scene completely out of context had me sobbing. I need to toughen up a bit.

Babe: “That’ll do, pig. That’ll do.”

Mr. Holland’s Opus: “Our esteemed governor, the honorable Gertrude Lang.”

First Contact: “Live long…and prosper.”

Titanic: “That’s your men out there!”

Gettysburg: “Gen’l Lee, suh…Ah have no division!”

Finding Neverland: “To die will be an awfully big adventure!”

If title cards count:

Heavenly Creatures: “It was a condition of their parole that they never meet again.”

Rudy: “Since 1974, no other Notre Dame player has been carried off the field.” (Of course I was already awash by that time…)

In “Finding Nemo,” right after Marlin and Nemo find each other, and all the fish get trapped in the net. They’re panicking and flopping around as the net starts to come out of the water…and then they all start swimming down.

“Swim down! Swim down!”

And the net breaks and they all swim out.

And kudos to Momma Odie for her pitch-perfect delivery.

Yet another great quote from Finding Nemo:

Dory: I look at you…and I’m home. I don’t want to forget.

Marlin: But I…do.

Talk about a one-two punch. I hope Pixar never does a flat out drama.

“I wanna go home.” - Bubba in Forest Gump

I guarantee you that the lines bewteen the daughter and father in the final scene of In America will reduce you to a crying mess.

(Providing the actual lines, I think, would ruin a plot point, though).

I’ll second the intro to Finding Nemo. “I promise, I will never let anything happen to you.” Then they fade from the egg into the sun shining through the waters, and then the main theme starts playing, which has got to be one of my favorite movie soundtracks…that’s one of the few times I’ve ever cried during a movie.

…and they’re fish! You’ve got to hand it to Pixar for being able to pull that off!

I don’t care if it’s corny, I tear up when Alan Rickman, as Dr. Lazarus in Galaxy Quest, speaks that line from the series he hates so much, to the dying Quilig(?)

Quilig is on the floor, bleeding, and “Dr. Lazarus” bends down, looks in his eyes, and tells him “Quilig, by Grabthar’s hammer, by the suns of Worvan, you shall be avenged.”

Quilig’s face lights up in a smile, and he dies.

Sniff, pass me the tissues too.

I totally forgot to mention one important part about that line from Finding Nemo (this is about the lines themselves, after all): In the very beginning, when they’re naming all the eggs, Marlin decides “This half will me Marlin Jr. and this half…Coral Jr.!” “I like Nemo!” “Okay, this one will be Nemo, but most of them should be Marlen Jr.!” Then, just after the line I mentioned, he says “…Nemo.” :frowning: Needless to say, the actual line in the movie has more emotional impact than my description.

From Casablanca:

Yvonne: Vive la France! Vive la démocratie!

That’s the one. He even seems to be tearing up a bit before he just gives up. :frowning:

“Mei-mei” means little sister in Chinese…I think.

I’m with you, either way. Man, what a scene.

And Ladyhawke…Oh, don’t get me going. I’ll get all wet and soggy!

I may be remembering a scene and not a line (there may have been dialog), but in the movie Angus, after Angus’ grampa (George C. Scott) dies and Angus goes down to the playground where grampa’s cronies play chess every day, and Angus walks up to the chessboard and lays a chesspiece on it’s side to let the old folks know George C. was dead, well, something definitely got in my eyes.

To second previous mentions:

“I will carry it” LOTR, Fellowship

“My friends, you bow to no one” LOTR, King

“Suuuperrmannn” Iron Giant

Oh my God, that whole scene.

:dubious: Really? I know the movie…but really? :smiley:

Big Fish:

The scene where Jenny is Explaining her relationship to Edward Bloom to his son Will.

“Well it’s logical if you think like your father. See to him there’s only two woman; your mother…and everyone else.”

The scene in the bathtup when Sandra Bloom starts to cry.

Edward: Come now.
Sandra: I don’t think I’ll ever dry out.

Dogs dying in movies always wreck me. The movie Crusoe is fairly forgettable, except for the one scene where Aidan Quinn gets down on his knees and prays for God to not take his dog away.

Sobs

Only once in my entire life have I seen my dad cry. It was at this movie, at this line. His dad died when he was 13.

Yes. Jyeh-jyeh is older sister.