Best time to buy a new HDTV

DirecTV has a handful (about 10-15 max) so it isn’t worth the switch at the moment.

We’ve been blessed for years with a healthy competition between Time Warner and our local phone company, which had always been independent (never part of the Bell system). For both, the prices are reasonable, the service is great, and the quality is excellent. I can imagine that wherever TW is the lone player, they might get a bit sloppy.

I expect to be buying a HDTV towards the end of next year, or possibly early 2008. There are no HD broadcasts round here at the moment, and the technology needs time to shake itself out.

I found that HD actually changed my viewing habits. I watch a LOT more PBS. I never had an interest in the past for travel shows, fine arts shows, or any of that stuff. But in HD, it’s gorgeous. Watching a travel show of the orient in HD is amazing. And I love watching shows about painting masters, because in HD you can see so much detail in the paintings that it’s better than seeing them live. PBS had a series called “The great museums”, and I never missed an episode after we got HD.

Sports shows are much more compelling as well. I’m actually really excited about the Olympics this year.

Speaking of… If you’re thinking of getting an HDTV, you might consider that the Winter Olympics start in 2 weeks…