Best TV Shows based on a movie?

Herein I learn there was a Thin Man tv series. I guess it was terrible; still, I’d like to see it.

MASH and Buffy pretty much dominate it, though in Buffy’s case, it was based on a bomb of a movie. MASH had the hard time of dealing with a huge hit movie and it did a great job.

The movie is not the origin, though. The stage show was, I think, the origin and it is based on that. I know MASH was a book, too, but the show was only based on the movie.

I second stargate.

I wouldn’t get caught up on that. The Odd Couple was a famous Broadway Show before being a famous movie. If the TV show followed on the movie, it counts for this thread at least.

The movie was quite close to the original book. The first few seasons of MASH were reasonably close, and then diverged wildly. Hooker’s later books (the real ones, not the show spinoff ones) twitted the TV show by making Hawkeye anything but Alan Alda.

My number one is the A&E Nero Wolfe series, followed by Paper Chase and MASH.
I guess Sherlock comes in there also.

It was based on a TV movie, so I don’t think so. NBC Mystery Movie blurred the line between TV movie and TV show.

Yeah, Hooker’s depiction of Hawkeye as a red-baiting gay-basher would be a pretty hard sell to Alan Alda fans.

Was Hawkeye the lead of the books, or was it a combination of Trapper, Duke, and Hawkeye?

Hawkeye was clearly the lead in the books I read.

Buffy was based on the original screenplay, not the movie that was filmed. Joss Whedon made it very clear that nothing in the movie was to be held as canon.

Perhaps another link is Charlie Wilson’s War. The first scene is of somebody proposing a series of what is obviously The West Wing to Wilson for investment.