Best virus protection

I have been using Avast free but the nagging and tricks to get you to try premium are getting really annoying. I don’t recommend avast anymore. I may try bit defender.
Can someone inform me whether Maleware bytes actually also does virus protection VS just malware protection?
I may have been mistaken but I thought you need anti-virus for ongoing common viruses and malware protection for those more sophisticated hard to detect keyloggers etc.

Viruses are a type of malware. Going the other way we get into something strange. The traditional computer viruses that hop on their own from computer to computer around the world entirely on their own basically don’t exist anymore. (Once malware gets onto a computer within a network, it might use simple exploits to spread across the lan. But that’s about it.) Most malware is delivered via clicking on the wrong link, opening an email attachment, etc., all coming from a source site (which might be a machine that’s been taken over).

So, “anti-malware” is a much better term, but customers respond better to the phrase “anti-virus”.

In all seriousness, unless you want spyware on your machine or want to participate in a bot-net, you need to change. Kaspersky is part of the Russian government at this point, and should be regarded as such.

Yeah. Mac here. I deal with enough messy negative time-wasting hassles as it is without volunteering for more.