Best way to loose weight.

Yes. I am 165 and my long run pace is about 8:00/mile. For shorter distances like 6-8 miles, it’s around 7:30-7:45. This is for easy to easy-moderate effort for me.

But that’s not relevant to the point. Let’s say you are burning the lowest estimate 300 calories in an hour. I can’t think of any exercise that will get you close to 900 calories in 15 minutes. Or even 400 calories in 15 minutes.

Shoot, meant to add: And I see you agree with the analysis.

Yes. Even with your better than average* running condition and/or efficiency, his numbers are off a bit. Which again is separate from the discussion about whether or not HIIT ends up burning more fat over the course of the rest of the day, despite its fewer calories burned during the activity itself.

*or at least my best condition, trained for a Marathon, running condition, and I believe that of the typical treadmill in the health club user who is wanting to lose weight.

I don’t have much more than anecdotal evidence to back this up, but this seems to be the secret right here. There are definitely people who master one form of exercise and repeat it ad infinitum and loose substantial amounts of weight, but I have always found a broad variety to be the best plan of attack. The best secret to blowing through calories is to be pushing yourself up to and past your limits of endurance. If an activity is not physically demanding, your best bet is to change to something that is. By having so many different ways of working out in your quiver, you can virtually assure that you won’t ‘master’ anything you are working on and every activity will be relatively easy to push into ‘strenuous’ territory.

The caveat is obviously that some people can’t handle extremely strenuous activity for any length of time, but for relatively healthy people that are looking to use exercise as another tool for weight loss: if you aren’t sweating and breathing hard, you need to be doing whatever it is you’re doing harder, better, faster, stronger- to steal a phrase.

Don’t burn yourself out with overuse injuries your first week, but develop the willpower to start a tough workout even if you feel ‘sore’ or ‘tired’, learn to apply that willpower to smaller portions and no cheesecake and you won’t be able to help but loose weight.

Here let Covert explain it all for you.
Here is a bio chemist explains what goes on inside your cells and how to get them to do more of it.
My favorite line from this book? "Want to be skinny like a 6 year old? Follow a 6 year old every where he goes.

There is a (possibly apocryphal) story that the athlete Jim Thorpe once tried to do everything a two year old did scaled for his size for one day and couldn’t do it.

Well I can attest to that: I haven’t mastered a damn thing! :slight_smile:

Thank you for bringing this up. One of the frustrating things about the “exercise won’t help you lose weight” arguments is that people who believe that don’t stop to consider what you’ve said - exercise is good for the boosting the mental discipline needed to make yourself eat better. If you’ve spent an hour punishing your body to burn 600 calories, you should be thinking a lot harder about whether or not you really want to eat something fattening, especially if that hour wasn’t any fun. I know that exercising both hard and regularly has a serious impact on my casual intake of sweets because I have a repeatable object lesson on how long it takes to work said desert off, which is something I think about less when I’m more idle.

Exercise also seems to be vital to maintaining weight loss: an extra 300 calories a day worth of leeway–or, more practically, an extra 2100 calories worth of leeway over the course of a weekend–really does make a difference.

Interesting related info (article) from MSN.

I would like to add that the composition of what you eat will play a role in the composition of your body too.

If you eat nothing but butter (gag) in the exact number of calories that you burn you won’t gain weight. You won’t be particularly healthy either, and will have trouble building muscle mass, break out something fierce, etc.

Choosing healthier foods isn’t just about maintaining weight - it’s also about maintaining health.

Either you’re working out more to burn 700 calories a day on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, or you meant “week” here instead of “weekend.”

ETA: Is the “loose” in the title driving anyone else nuts?

I read it as meaning that she had 2100 calories buffer for any week-end indiscretions - of the calorie increasing sort anyway.

The “loose” in the title less so than its being repeated several times by several posters after several tried to gently point it out.

Ah, that would make sense.

Although depending on the level of other indiscretions, you could end up with an even larger available caloric buffer… :smiley: