Better Call Saul 1.10 "Marco" 4/6/15

Wasn’t there a recent court case about this sort of thing? It involved lying on a match.com profile or something. Some guy claimed a very high income which was total bullshit and a woman claimed that that was the reason that she banged him.

Wouldn’t this be closer to fraud than rape?

Apparently, in the US, some states have “rape by deception” provisions in their laws … but many do not. Also, those that do define the ambit of what the crime is differently.

So it varies, a lot.

http://nysbar.com/blogs/lawstudentconnection/2013/11/rape_by_fraud_deception_or_imp.html

Closer to blind drunk than anything else, I’m thinking.

But “blind drunk” isn’t an out for Jimmy boy, because it vitiates consent.

Seeing as how the last episode of the season was called “Marco”, what do you think the odds are of the first episode of the next season being called “Pollo”?

Marco -> Polo -> Pollo -> very serious trouble.

I do hope you’re right. You’re certainly brilliant. We know that BB acknowledged the need to have an end in sight (and we know BCS could easily have been a half hour sitcom until it jumped the shark). So we also know that season two has to bridge some of the gap between the Saul we knew (in the future) and the Saul we are now meeting (in the past). Fring must return (before we met him)!

If this were a Mike prequel, then meeting Gus would be a “must”. But my impression was that Saul never met Gus before BB, unless it was by chance at one of his restaurants without realizing who he was.

Well, but we didn’t know BCS would also be a Mike prequel, perhaps it will also be a Gus prequel? Id love a deeper look into his character!

Really? It seemed to me that they gave us the perfect amount of information on Gus. Any more would be overkill. As it is, in finding the Mike back story to be superfluous.

Or perhaps Tuco. We had Nacho, of course. I would think that Jimmy will call Nacho and tell him that he’s available after all. Perhaps his first defense for them will be to get Tuco off the hook for criminal activity. Mike in the meantime will likely hook up with Gus (perhaps in a follow on episode to be called Pollo) for a protection gig of some sort and be hired on permanently. Hence the “I know a guy who knows a guy” line from Saul in BB.

Great call. And Nacho will have the best “told ya so” ever.

I’m an activist for women’s rights and I say balderdash, bollocks and bullsh*t (all ‘B’s’) to this idea of “fraud rape” … it’s an insult to all true rape victims. Rape is penetration without consent, penetration with force or threat of force, penetration with a minor, or penetration when the person is incapable of giving consent. Period.

Okay, what else do you need cleared up? :wink:

I found this interesting …seems as if the BCS creators are hesitant to turn Jimmy into Saul, or Peter Gould is:

"According to Gould, Chuck, somewhat ironically, bears the brunt of responsibility for Jimmy’s transformation into Saul.

“So much of what Jimmy does in season one is to please his brother. To try to win his brother’s approval. So who is Jimmy without that goal? Who is Jimmy if he’s not thinking about ‘Is this going to prove to Chuck that I’m a good person?’ What is he without those ideas?” Gould said.

“[…] As for what he’s going to do next, we’re leaving it a little bit open, but you can safely say whatever he’s going to do next truly pleases him.”

Which is somewhat scary.

“Jimmy McGill is somebody I love and root for, and it makes me a little sad and worried to see how he’s going to evolve into this other person,” said Gould. …"

Toldja they were making it up as they went along.

Thanks for the laugh … guy on the radio just said you get extra points if kids are in the car.

I actually kind of wish they could just go where the spirit takes them, without feeling hemmed in by having to get to the Saul we know from BB (even though I did love that character). I may have said this upthread, or maybe it was on a different board, but I’d be totally down with some kind of “Fringe” occurrence where the show we are watching splits off into a different timeline, and Jimmy doesn’t have to become Saul (though the name of the show then becomes a “Cougar Town” type deal). I suspect though that this would provoke outrage among many fans.

I’m surprised by the calls to ‘hurry up’ and bring Fring or Jesse (or Walt!) into the show, especially so early. There was no evidence that Saul ever met any of them before BB (although he may have had dealings with Jesse or his friends).

I’ll be perfectly happy if we never see Fring or the others at all, and let this show stand on it’s own.

Well of course. It’s how Gilligan works and he has said so in every interview I’ve ever read back to the BB days. This is no revelation. He always talks about writing themselves into a corner and having to figure out how to get out the next episode.

Jesse mentioned to Walt that Saul got some of his friends off the hook. It’s possible Jesse went to the office with him, I don’t recall if he said that or not. I also can’t remember if he mentioned who Saul got off. I know it wasn’t Badger, Saul met Badger for the first time at the police station.

The only clip I can quickly find is the now famous ‘you want a criminal lawyer’. He mentions how he knows Saul just before that line.

Pardon me for wasting your time …I obviously need to read what you’ve been reading.