Bicycles, jerseys, and gears. Oh my!

Spent the entire day yesterday (Friday) at the Wisconsin State Fair. Phew. I NEED to get on a bike now.

Eat a pork-chop sandwich for breakfast. Look at the Clydesdales. Eat an apple fritter. Look at the cows. Eat a cream puff. Listen to music. Eat grilled corn-on-the-cob. Watch the kids slide down the big slide. Eat a bratwurst. Watch the pigs in the birthing area pop out little piglets. Eat another cream puff. Listen to some more music. Eat a piece of cheesecake. Walk through the exhibit hall and look at all the stuff being sold. Eat a pickle on a stick. Walk around a people watch. Eat a steak sandwich. Watch a little of the Guernsey judging. Eat a strawberry sundae. Etc.

You get the idea. Rolled home in time to change clothes and go to the theater to see the national touring production of “Oklahome”. It was a lot better than expected.
Anyway. Enough hijacking of my own thread.

You’ve all given me great advice. I’m a lot more knowledgeable now than I was a couple days ago. I’ll be able to talk to my local bike shop and not feel like I’m floundering.

There seems to be a difference of opion of whether it’s better to change the chain ring, or change the cassette. Given that it might be difficult to find a 7 gear cassette, I might first look at a larger chain ring. Although I kind of like the idea of a cassette with closer ratios. (Maybe switch to a 9 or 10 gear cassette? I suspect I’d have to buy a new derailleur then though.)

And perhaps I’d better also ensure that I’m pedaling fast enough.

Thanks everybody. I guess I don’t have any more questions right now.