Biden's choice for vice presidential candidate

Bah. Mahathir took power in Malaysia again in his 90s, and he’d been looking like a mummy for 50 years. Strom Thurmond kept on ticking. I expect Biden to run the course.

I don’t expect him to die necessarily. I just don’t expect him to run at 81, get re-elected at 82, then serve until he is 86. If he wins Biden will be the oldest U.S. president by a country mile. The next closest is Reagan who was younger when he left office than Biden will be when he takes office.

Well he’s given himself to the Democratic Party, I think one term is enough and after that he can let someone else take the helm.

80s is the new middle age.

Younger than Sanders, Moscow Mitch or Pelosi, only slightly older than trump.

Joe Biden is younger than Nancy Pelosi.

We are down to the home stretch. So, who are the finalists? Is Bass really a contender or was that just part of the campaign propaganda? Haven’t heard much about Warren lately.

What’s the short list?

Depends on who you ask. Harris, Bass, Rice and Demmings seem to be the top contenders at the moment.

Here’s a CNN article of note - top Biden VP contenders face sexist tropes and intense scrutiny in final stretch: https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/politics/joe-biden-vice-presidential-running-mate/index.html

Fox made a Dana Milbank op-ed piece into a whole article against Rice. Take a look at those comments beneath.

Not that they’re going to vote for any VP pick he makes, but this is a foretaste of what the campaign will look like if Biden picks her.

This is why, after all the dust settles, I hope either Demings or Duckworth come out as the #2. I know everyone has a history, problems, potential to be attacked, etc., but those two don’t have glaring issues as of now. Rice and Bass both have right-wing talking points tattooed across their foreheads.

All Joe has to do with this pick is do no harm. Rice and Bass won’t give him that.

“First, do no harm” is always good advice in picking a running mate.

If that is the foretaste then she is a great choice.

Omigod she swears and has been rude? Not having run for office before is disqualifying? Those are arguments that will keep Obama-Trump voters coming out for Trump? Will motivate increased turnout of those who voted for Trump? Will decrease turnout of the various segments of the D base?

If anything having some righteous indignation from the Right over an F-bomb would be wonderful (and could distract from the inevitable Biden malaprop and verbal stumble). F-bombs inclusive she is clearly professional.

FWIW I don’t think we need to be choosing who will make the best 2024 or 28 candidate. We do need to thinking about who would be best taking over as president if something happened to Biden in office continuing initiatives in progress. Best not to have to need a learning curve or to widely swerve approaches mid term. Rice would likely do that best. Duckworth maybe second best. Any of this list would signal that Biden is caring about bringing great talent to his team, not amateur hour.

Sorry Andy but for Bass to suggest that in 2010 no one knew Scientology was a criminal scam is ridiculous on its face. Operation Snow White took place in the 1970s and involved espionage and burglary of government offices as well as efforts to blackmail government officials. She is either very naive or being dishonest.

I suspect it’s more that she’s a bit mercenary, and saw good district politics in praising a church being built, because the sins of scientology were not widely known at the time. Which is mostly fine with me.

Plus, I think the potential weaknesses of the other possibilities are more concerning or risky. But we’ll see. Biden has run a solid campaign so far IMO, so his team’s judgment is probably better than mine.

But the world we live in is that everybody is judged for what they did in the past based on what is known and considered to be correct now.

You are free to judge her as you think appropriate. I see praising a scientology church being built as no more or less wrong than praising a Catholic church being built, especially in 2010. YMMV.

a) This has nothing to do with me. Nobody on the Biden team is asking for my opinion.
b) Everybody, including those who are being asked, will be judging her with 2020 eyes, not 2010 eyes. Because that is how we do things in modern politics for quite a while now. I’m sure you’ve noticed.
c) Why do you get so defensive? I think we’re all well aware in these discussions that we are free to make our own judgments.

Bass gave a presentation to a group of Scientologists. That’s a non-issue. On the other hand, it gives the competition something to whine about. But, does any potential Biden voter care? On the other hand, why buy trouble?

Bass is very appealing and has a great resume for a position in the cabinet. Not VP.

The short list seems to be:

Harris, Bass, Rice, Whitmer, Warren

My ranking is:

1. Warren
  2. Harris
  3. Bass
  4. Rice
  5. Whitmer

I suspect Biden will pick Bass or Rice

I just hope we don’t see a gaffe, like, “I pick… Casey Anthony! No, wait. I meant Susan Rice. She’s black, right?” :smiley: