Big City Apartment Dweller Question

• There’s just more to do. Even when you aren’t doing anything, it seems like there’s a lot going on.

• You don’t have to drive everywhere.

• I like tiny appartments

• There are plenty of smaller appartment buildings if you don’t want to live in a high-rise.

No. I like getting out of the city every now and again, but I’m not a big fan of living in the wilderness.

I just moved from my great, big apartment in the city to a townhouse in the county. I hate it. I hate every minute of it. When I walk outside, I want to see concrete, people in business suits and BMWs not grass, little kids and frickin’ minivans.

The county (or suburbia hell, as I call it) is so…so…so uninspired. It sucks. Big time.

Why did I move, you ask? I moved for the kids. They love it, I hate it. I hate commuting to work. What used to be a twelve minute walk is now a half-hour drive. I won’t even mention taking the bus home sometimes…

When the kids get of college age and move out, we’re moving right back to downtown. I’m counting the days…

I grew up in the country and it was a great place for a kid to run around and be all kid-like, but it sucked as a grown-up.

It took me an hour and a half to get to work. Now it takes me 20 minutes.

The nearest restaurant was 20 minutes away. Now it’s next door.

There was absolutely nothing social to do, unless you were into smelly roadhalls or Baptist picnics. I am interested in neither. Now, there’s too many choices for fun!

Shopping choices were limited to Wal-Mart or Big Lots. Now I have the Galleria and a trillion other places.

Most of the friends I grew up with (and who stuck around the area) had settled into a different life than me. All of my grown-up friends are in the city.

Suburbia does NOT equal small town or country living. Trust me, I’ve done both. IMO, suburbia is the worst of both worlds.

I haven’t lived in huge cities, but I spent a few years pretty close to downtown Minneapolis, and then my 11 years in the Boulder/Denver metro area. Now I’m back in the small town where I grew up, and I love love love it.

Things I hated about city/metroplex life:

• Driving & Traffic. Everyplace was a 20-60 minute drive away. If I drive for 20 minutes now, I’m in the middle of a forest.

• People: People everywhere! Maybe that’s the real difference between city people and country people - City people like to go outside and see people everywhere. Country people hate it. I can go for walks in the woods and not see anyone for hours. Hell, chances are I can go walk on the city beach right now - the one right next to downtown - and be the only person there. I ran this morning and was out for 75 minutes. I saw 3 other people on the most popular running path around.

• No true wilderness unless you drive for a while. Yuk. I hated that.

Things I miss:

• restaurants and decent grocery stores. We have some semi-decent restaurants here, but nothing with any sort of interesting food. Yes, fresh whitefish is a treat. But when every restaurant in town features it on every menu and daily special it gets old real fast.

• I’d also like to be able to buy such exotic goods as fresh scallops and broccoli rabe at times. Not gonna happen. I found frozen bay scallops in Wal*Mart yesterday and bought their entire stock because I hadn’t seen bay scallops in this town ever before.

• Stores with a selection: You can get one or two versions of almost anything here. More than that, no go. Thank God for the Web.

• Good radio stations. There are none. I need to buy satellite radio if I want to hear anything but Golden Oldies, NPR, or the country station.

Well, I’m from here (DC), don’t have a car so I can’t live in the suburbs, and can’t afford a house. Yes, I miss nature a lot.

I love being around all the people—DC is a place where you can walk down the street and hear several different languages spoken, where you can meet people all over the world. The sameness of the people in the suburbs and small towns drives me nuts. If I want to meander a mile or so from my house, I’ll encounter street bazaars, hole-in-the-wall shops, a couple of crazy people, etc—the variety and unpredictability is wonderful.

When I visit my mom’s house, I have trouble sleeping because it’s too quiet. Sure, sometimes the noise and pollution can be a bit much here, but there’s a decent city-style park nearby and I can always chill under a tree with a good book there.

I’ve been in Chicago over 4 years now, and it’s been a great experience meeting many different types of people and enjoying the culture and nightlife. However, I’ve also realized I am NOT a city girl anymore. I hate trying to find a parking spot, paying WAY too much for a studio apt., not having a big, plush yard, flowers in the backyard, a GARAGE, a washer and dryer in my house, etc. I almost feel a lack of freedom and space in the city. It’s so damned expensive here, it makes my priorities way out of wack.

Thankfully, I only have 3 more months here then it’s off the beautiful Colorado. I love nature way too much and miss the quiet peacefulness of nature. A sunset, grass, mountains, and trees are far more enjoyable than crowded, smelly streets and noise!

Well my job is in the big city so it’s kind of convienent to live here.

I do miss somethings of nature but not that much.

Tell me, how long is the drive you have to go and sit in a room full of Rembrants or Monets?

I can escapt to nature pretty easily. I can take a train to the Jersey Shore or Long Island and go the beach. I have no idea about hiking or camping because I hate hiking and camping but I’m sure it is available nearby.

When was the last time you were a minority? Frequently I am the only white guy in the room and sometimes I’m the only straight guy in the room.

And I don’t own a car so I don’t have to pay for car insurance or repair the @*&!@% thing all the time.
And about a week ago I got to see two prostitutes fight on the sidewalk. (OK I’m only guessing they were prostitutes but I think it was a pretty good guess)