Biggest Oscar robberies/snubs?

There were a lotof people who felt Bette Davis was snubbed when she wasn’t nominated for “Of Human Bondage” in 1934. The Academy even relaxed its rules and allowed write-in votes for two years. When she won the following year for “Dangerous”, many felt it was to make up for that omission.

I always figured that was just a case of vote splitting. Tomei versus 4 classically trained British actresses. And Tomei was great in that role, I don’t care what anybody else says.

The fact that Gary Oldman only has one nomination and no wins is mind boggling to me.

Kramer vs. Kramer won the Academy Award in 1980. Competing with Apocalypse Now and All That Jazz.

I’ve always thought that Gary Oldman is so good that he just makes it look too easy. He inhabits a role so effortlessly that it seems like anyone could do it.

As I’ve pointed out before, more people saw My Cousin Vinnie than the other four movies combined. You don’t vote for what you haven’t seen. It was a logical results.

As for people, well, judging performance is so subjective that there’s really no such thing as a snub.

I’m not that big a fan over the term snub, especially when referred to who wins or doesn’t win awards. When I hear snub it sounds as if there was a deliberate choice in not choosing someone that had nothing to do with the quality of their work.

For example, many consider (and I agree) that Paul Newman’s greatest work was as attorney Frank Galvin in "The Verdict". But he didn’t win the Oscar that year, Ben Kingsley excellent performance as the Mahatma in "Gandhi" won that year.

Some times it all comes down to timing. Had his work been in the year before or after, he might have won.

Some might think Silvester Stallone got snubbed for portraying Rocky again, and he’s apparently really good. But I guess I’m more curious to see this Mark Rylance guy who won for Bridge of Spies.

Two words: [del]Bad Wolf[/del] Wolf Hall.

I know I’m completely on my own here, but Wall-E is one of the best and most beautiful love stories told in the last 20 years and, IMO, should have won Best Picture.

More feasible snubs? It takes a lot for me to pay attention to a movie’s score, and I out and out LOVED Fury Road’s music. That should have been nominated.

Sam Smith had no business winning the song award over Lady Gaga. Everything about that song is perfect for what it needs to be and Writing’s on the Wall is just a generic bond tune

Marlon Brando was the only principal actor in “Streetcar Named Desire” who didn’t get an Academy Award. That was just wrong.

(It went to Bogart for “African Queen.”)

Ermey’s performance was great, but it was one (very exciting) note, not much nuance. I think he did a better job in “Dead Man Walking”, TBH.

My choice is Tommy Lee Jones in “The Fugitive”, winning over Ralph Fiennes’ subtle performance in “Schindler’s List”

Even though Kingsley was excellent (and got bonus points for playing the storied Gandhi in that historical epic, which the Academy loves), I still think Newman got robbed that year. His work in The Verdict was transcendent, and in my opinion by far the best performance of the year.

I knew Rylance’s stage work by reputation, at least, but not much more about him before seeing Bridge of Spies. He is absolutely terrific in that role. I, like pretty much everyone else, assumed Stallone had that Oscar wrapped up, but I was very happy to see Rylance take it.

(Speaking of Stallone, Oscars, and Tomei - anybody else remember Oscar? Probably not something anybody would consider snubbed for awards recognition …)

Beating out Dustin Hoffman in "Tootsie" that year, too.

I’ve seen (a little bit of) Wolf Hall, and seen Bridge of Spies, and until this moment did not make the connection. :smack:

Jacob Tremblay, best actor, Room, 2016 Oscars.

(should have been nominated, at least)

How about next year?

We can be very sure most, if not all, categories will have a minority actor/actress, even if there are 5 better performances.

Edward Woodward, Best Actor, Breaker Morant.

Jeff Daniels, Best Actor, Gettysburg.

Anthony LaPaglia, Best Supporting Actor, Betsy’s Wedding (the best thing about the entire film).

Bradley Cooper, Best Actor, Limitless.

Sir, yes, sir!

There’s probably something to that. Very few actors out there who could convincingly play a corrupt American DEA agent, a Russian terrorist, a British spymaster and a Transylvanian bloodsucker.

Harrison Ford only getting one nomination (Witness)

49 years. 1 nomination. 0 wins.

Ignoring Star Wars and Indiana Jones (most consider both un-Oscar worthy)he still had some great roles and performances:

*Blade Runner
Fugitive
Regarding Henry

among others I’m sure I forgot.

When I saw Bridge of Spies my first comment was that Rylance deserved an Oscar for his portrayal.