Biopic or other non fiction actor who looked most like the person they portrayed?

N/m.

titanic has a few of these. this site has a handful of side by sides with the actors and the real person. i think bernard hill as captain smith bears the closest resemblance, but the actors shown all look pretty similar to the people they were portraying.

Sam Rockwell and Chuck Barris?

Absolutely agree - I imagine that, in future WW2 movies, the difficulty will be in resisting the temptation to cast as Hitler whomever best resembles Bruno Ganz. The parodies have robbed the ranting monologue scene of a lot of its power - but it is a masterful bit of acting, both from Ganz and everyone else in the room. You can see Hitler falling apart, his entourage seeing him fall apart, and so on. Especially effective in that, prior to this point, Ganz’s Hitler was not a ranter.

Wow. Over 2 days and 44 posts in and no one came up with Jamie Foxx in Ray? He looked more like Ray Charles than Ray Charles!

There’s a cameo in The Longest Day by Eisenhower, well I thought it was Eisenhower until I looked it up. The person playing Eisenhower was Henry Grace, who was a set decorator on the film, cast in this one role because of his likeness.

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsG/39370.gif

+1 for Jamie Foxx.

Hank Fonda in the Jack Ford biopic “Young Mr. Lincoln” – having only seen a few photogs of Young ML he nailed the rail-thin look to me.

And many of the Brandon Hardesty impressions – how much are due to mannerisms and speech vs. phys app., I don’t have the time to research, but I’d put his Eugene Levy and his Walken and his Sam. Jackson up against anyone’s. ]

Sissy Spacek as Loretta Lynn in Coal Miner’s Daughter.

Late answer here, but yes. A long-time friend of the family was in the antiques business in SE Georgia, and I met Mr. Williams several times when I was a kid. Kevin Spacey’s portrayal was eerily similar, to me.

And I guess that Eyebrows of Doom confirms my suspicion that Kevin Spacey may be a pretty damned good actor, if he could do Jim Williams and Bobby Darin equally convincingly!

Melissa Gilbert as Laura Ingalls Wilder

Warren Oates in Dillinger.