"Bison are the only mammals that don't get cancer." True?

I’m going to eat a shark that ate a bison, and be doubly protected!

Nitpick: The scientific name for the American bison isn’t “bison bison bison”, nor “Bison Bison Bison”. It’s “Bison bison bison” (or even “B. bison bison”). Genus name is capitalized (and sometimes abbreviated), species and subspecies names are lowercase.

And hijack: Is elfbabe Quadgop’s daughter? Welcome!

Actually, it would be Bison bison bison or Bison bison bison.

While we’re nitpicking Bison (or Bison), it should probably be pointed out that there are two recognized subspecieis of North American bison: the aforementioned B. bison bison (aka the Plains Bison) and B. bison athabascae (aka the Wood Bison). If one wishes to refer specifically to the Plains Bison or Wood Bison, then one should include the subspecies designation. If one wishes to refer to all NA bison, then one should use Bison bison (or B. bison). If one wishes to refer generally to any bison species (including the European species), then one would use Bison sp. or simply the genus name Bison. Or, just say “bison”.

After typing “bison” so much in this post, I’ve come to realize it’s a pretty silly-looking word…

Well, since we’re talking about American bison, I propose we use the word “buffalo” for the rest of this thread.

I always liked the word, totonka.

Plus, I thought it was Emus that were supposed to be the miracle beast.

I know they’re not mammals, neither are sharks. BUT how 'bout cetaceans?

make that tatonka

Considering that cancer is essentially gene replication gone wrong, and all living things undergo gene replication, it doesn’t seem possible that any species could be * immune *from cancer. Some species probably have a lower incidence of cancer than others, perhaps due to their diets, but they can’t be immune from it.

Cancer is mostly a disease of later life, as are heart disease and diabetes. At the time when plains Indians were eating mainly bison (bison bison), they probably had quite a low life expectancy too, so wouldn’t have suffered the late-life diseases in the numbers we do today.

by the way those omegas, are fatty acids, or OILs as far you are are concerned.

in case you were wondering :slight_smile:

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo!

– CH

Say, would a buffalo with fluffy white fur be a bison frisé?

My BS detector kinda went wiggy when you discussed the omega stuff, kinda sounds like a snake oil (or flax seed oil) salesman pitch. Do you have any reputable links on this omega stuff? I’ve heard plenty about good cholesterol/bad cholesteral etc., but this is the first time I’ve heard about omegas.

Aha, just another name for polyunsaturated.

carry on.