Black characters and creators in sci-fi, fantasy and horror (1996-2006)

Gina Torres was already mentioned in The Matrix movies, Angel, Firefly and Serenity – but also did work in Xena: Princess Warrior, Hercules, Dark Angel, Cleopatra 2525, Justice League as the voice of Vixen (I did NOT know that!) – and get this – was the original love interest in that Sam Raimi M.A.N.T.I.S. movie I talked about that was retconned out when it became an ongoing TV series.

I should have been clearer. If the creator and/or actor portraying the character is black, even if it’s just animated voicework, include them. If the character is supposed to be black, include them. Never mind all this “would they be really considered black, because they’re not even human” stuff.

So, from Star Wars, Darth Vader is “black” (since James Earl Jones provided the voice of the character in 4 movies), as are Billy Dee “Mr. Colt .45” Williams as Lando Calrissian, Samuel L. Jackson’s Mace Windu, and (sigh) [sub]Ahmed Best’s Jar-Jar Binks[/sub]. Goddammit. I feel as though I’m forgetting somebody from Star Wars and the prequels…

Let’s talk fantasy. From Dungeons And Dragons, you can’t get much more of a sacrificial negro than Snails, played by Marlon Wayons. An old-school - if you went to school in the 1930’s, that is - cowardly, gibbering, stuttering sacrificial negro whom one keeps expecting to say, “Feets, do yo’ duty! Yassuh!”. This deeply embarrassing throwback makes Jar Jar Binks look like Jules Winfield, and it’s a profound relief when he is killed.

On the other hand, Michael Clarke Duncan’s Nubian King from The Scorpion King is nobody’s sacrifice, making it to the end of the movie in fine style: “Nubian eyes are watching you, Scorpion King.” If Nubian kings didn’t look like Duncan, they damn well ought to have.

From fiction, there’s King Ogunwe from The Amber Spyglass, the conclusion to Phillip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy. As Lord Asriel’s chief-of-staff and field commander, he’s a formidable force, and leads his strike team of Africans to wipe out a much larger force from the Consistorial Court. Again, no-one’s sacrifice.

Yeah, I figured that. I never wanted to claim that Teal’C wouldn’t have counted for this thread. I guess I was making a bit of a hijack on the origins of the Jaffa, which was nicely settled by Tengu. Even if Teal’C were an alien, I’d still count him, and I’d count Tuvok and Worf. Not sure about Darth Vader, but it’s your thread. :slight_smile:

Mostly outside the ten year limit from the OP, but Eddie Murphy did his share of sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. Pluto Gnashes my teeth, that vapid vampire in the ghetto, The Golden Child or whateverthat was.

And Gumby, DAMN IT!

Storm comes to mind as a black, female, mutant (that’s THREE minorities!) in the X-Men movies.

Larry Borgia. Heh. I know – that’s why I put “black” in parantheses – you nitpicking bastards do keep me own my toes.

• Pluto Nash* makes the cut, and more recent entries would include voice of Mushu the Dragon in Mulan, Donkey in the Shrek series and Jim Evers in Disney’s The Haunted Mansion. Murphy’s Nutty Professor movies are both loosely sci-fi comedies.

Spoiler for Event Horizon

No he doesn’t. But the other black charater is one of the two survivors.

Ahem, I mentioned Mace Windu already. Yeah, he was killed off, but he went out in a kickass way. Also, again, other Jedi were black, including Adi Gallia, Stass Ali, Olee Starstone (a padawan character in the novels), and then of course you have Padme’s guards, Panaka and his nephew, Typho. Queen Jamilla of Naboo was black, I think (it was hard to tell with that weird make up on). Also, in the novels, there are plenty of black characters, such as MY personal favorite, Shalla Nelprin, in Wraith Squadron.

Let’s see, Hallis Saper, a documentarian who worked with New Republic Intel, and Belindi Kalenda, another NRI agent. One of Han Solo’s exes, Salla Zend, a smuggler.
And since we’re including other species who were played by black actors, poor Oola who was fed to the Rancor was black. And Luminara Unduli, a Jedi Master, was played by a woman from Kenya, Mary Oyaya. (Oh cool, according to Wookieepedia she was voiced by Cree Summer in Clone Wars). And the voice of Taun We was NZ actress Rena Owen (she had a BEAUTIFUL voice-I’d kill to sound like her).

Oh, and yeah, Vader was black, but only after he fell on the lava beach. Hehehehe. :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s probably more I’m forgetting. Obsessed-who me? :wink:

What about Harry Potter? Dean Thomas and Kingsley Shacklebolt are both black.

Also, if you’re a fan of Mercedes Lackey’s Valdemar series, she has a nation with obvious African influence, that they call the Black Kings, or the Heleigh (I THINK that’s how it’s spelled!) Empire.

Do the works of Toni Morrison count as “fantasy”? There are a lot of surreal things that happen in them, but not so much overtly magical. Maybe she doesn’t count, though, since her books tend to be found in the “literature” section of the bookstore, not the “fantasy” ghetto. In any event, both she and most of her characters are black.

Great job with the *Star Wars * universe, and *Harry Potter * most certainly counts. Gryffindor students Angela Johnson and the Weasley twins’ prank playing buddy, Lee Jordan, and the menacing Slytherin Blaise Zabini whom Harry formally met in the Slug Club, are all Mystic Negroes in addition to the ones you cited, Guin. Wasn’t there a prominent black student in Ravenclaw I’m forgetting?

Rena Owen is Maori - as is Tem Morrison, who played Jango Fett and with whom Rena Owen co-starred in Once Were Warriors as abused wife Beth Heke - and thus doesn’t really qualify as black.

Neither, for that matter, does Captain Typho, who was played by Samoan New Zealander Jay Laga’aia.

I don’t remember any black Ravenclaws-maybe you’re thinking of Padma Patil? She’s Indian, not black.
And how could I have forgotten Lee Jordan! He’s one of my favorite characters! Dammit! (Quidditch just isn’t the same without his commentary!)

:smack:

Case Sensitive-fair enough, but I think Typho MIGHT count, since he’s Panaka’s nephew, so in-universe, he’s part black.

It’s “Haighlei”.

“They must be Haighlei.”
“They must be highly what ?”
“Not highly. Haighlei.

From the recent Belisarius series, the dawazz Ousanos. Big, very strong, a great hunter and warrior, as well as a philosopher.

From the Doc Sidhe books, Zeb Watson; fighter and trainer of fighter. Competes and wins in the fair worlds equivalent of the Olympics, sort of like a more brutal version of Jesse Owens. Plus, off the field he gets to sneak around dressed like The Shadow. :slight_smile:

Shoe Coldfield, a recurring gangster leader in the Vampire Files.

I think you answered your own question. Despite the magic realism in her works, Morrison’s not really a fantasy writer, considers herself a fantasy writer or acknowledged as such by fantasy readership – certainly not in comparison to, say, other “literary” writers of fantasy like J.R.R. Tolkien, Ray Bradbury or Terry Prachett.

I love Terry Pratchett, but he ain’t a literary writer, no way, no how. Neither was Tolkien, for that matter, but that’ll just get the fanboys riled, so pretend I didn’t say anything. :slight_smile:

That’s it! Thanks.

Okay, more SW characters:
-Jedi Master Agen Kolar (the man who plays him, Tux Akindoyeni, appears to be black)
-Princess Kneesaa, an Ewok princess. She was voiced by Cree Summer
-Senator Fang Zar of Sern Prime

Oh, and it appears Queen Jamillia is of Indian, not black, ethnicity.

Interesting that the thread has gone this far without a mention of Samuel R. Delany.