"Blackish" .. Oh.... REALLY?

Are white people really this dumb? After 250 years of slavery in the U.S. alone plus another 100 years of Jim Crow type laws, do you really expect blacks today to to just middle-class white people with a better tan?

Black culture in the U.S. is distinct and runs very, very deep. The chances are outstanding that they were brought over and forced into servitude 200 years before your grandparents even thought of leaving Europe.

Some of it has been very good: virtually all modern music and many styles of food. Some of it hasn’t worked out that well but American blacks can almost be considered an indigenous culture at this point. They have their own lingo, styles of romantic engagement and social institutions like churches.

I know that everyone gets sick of hearing it but I was basically raised a small black child by my Mammy and the fact that my parents taught an all black school when I was young. It was all good. The one thing I learned from that is that even the most poor American blacks are genuine people and generally good but their social norms differ greatly from mainstream society because of historical social reasons that aren’t very far out of date. In my experience, other white people that express recreational outrage about these types of things do not know what the are talking about. I could walk into a black church in at least three towns in different areas and be greeted with nothing but hugs and kisses and I don’t even consider myself to be a liberal or even a good person. Could you do something similar with the same results?

Shows like that can have a positive effect because satire and comedy can highlight problems in ways that would be offensive if expressed directly. There is a long history of that. TV shows from All in the Family, The Jeffersons, Good Times and even South Park have used the same methods.