Blatant lies you were told in school

Brendon, look up.

Mrs. Rayburn :wink:

Huh. I’ve never heard that in my life. My high school paper used PageMaker, and I believe my university paper and the first paper I worked for both used QuarkXPress. InDesign is gaining in popularity, I think, but newspapers might go extinct before it gets adopted. :stuck_out_tongue:

“If you just do my homework I won’t beat you up.”

Yeah, that was a lie.

Nonsense. Everybody knows that “fe’t’i’sh’” is a contraction of “Feet in shoes.”

If someone says that they have one of those quasi-fetishes, it’s just because they’re sublimating their desire for toe-sex.

We use Quark at our newspaper here at school. At lot of the other publications here on campus use InDesign, but I honestly find Quark easier. Maybe that’s just because I’ve worked with it more.
[sub]Sorry for the hijack. I can’t at the moment think of anything worthwhile to contribute. I’ll be back when I think of something, though. There surely is something.[/sub]

Geez? InDesign growing popular? :expressionless: It’s been the main tool here the last five years, for every paper I’ve ever submitted stuff to. Either an InDesign design file or and Adobe Illustrator one; in a pinch, you can get away with a marked-for-columns text file with localizations for the pictures, but I don’t even want to think of what my editor would say if I handed in a Pagemaker file - Much less Microsoft Office! :expressionless:

Lies, more lies and damned lies from my childhood? Only one stand out. “None of the abbreviations in IT really mean anything, they’re just phonetical remember-codes to seperate technologies.” (On a question what HTTP meant . . .) Well, if it’d been a reply to “what does TWAIN mean?” I’d kinda understand :stuck_out_tongue:

I had a teacher from Ireland in the third grade. She told us that:
-North America comprised Canada and the United States (I always brought up Mexico, which she always grudgingly admitted–granted, this was pre-NAFTA);
-Termites are not animals; and
-Vowels in English comprise a, e, i, o, u, y, and sometimes w. Yeah, if you’re Welsh!

On the other hand, when I was substitute teaching, a smirking kindergartener stopped me in the hallway and asked (green-shirted, red-haired) me, “Are you a leprechaun?” I nonchalantly nodded. “Yeah,” I said, and headed down the hall. When I turned around thirty seconds later, all the kindergarteners were staring at me and whispering. I later subbed in their class, and their halfway belief in my magical nature (I refused after that to confirm or deny rumors that I was a leprechaun) came in mighty handy in classroom management :).

Daniel

I was taught in history class that people from Africa were brought to this country and made to work for white people for free, planting crops, picking cotton and the like, and as domestics in their households) as if they owned them.

I was also told those same white people didn’t understand why those Africans sometimes tried to shirk field duties, run away, or even kill them.

Oh, wait. :smiley:

:smack:

I’m sleepy - it’s not an excuse, just an explanation.

Marley23 and JimSox5, it was a journalism class, but not the one that put out the school paper (we had three different journalism classes offered in HS). The next year, in the other class, we did use Pagemaker. Of course, the first journalism class I took in college started with Quark on the second day. Every paper I’ve known uses Quark, but our college paper uses a mix of Quark and Indesign, depending on who is the editor and who is the prof. (it changed last quarter)…

Irrelevant to the thread, but I thought I’d add a little more to my post. I don’t know if the teacher specifically meant to lie, or if it was an accident. She may truly believe Microsoft Office is that widely used for page layout design, but I don’t believe for a second that she is close to right (didn’t at the time either)…

Brendon Small

Well an odd number of cylinders is still uncommon, except for radial engines (which are in banks of odd number of cylinders)

Brian

I was told in 6th grade that when you get an abortion, you can hear the baby screaming as they kill it inside you.

This isn’t completely a lie. But yeah, if the skin changes color it would take more than a few hours.

Not a lie so much as an incorrect prediction (1986): Ada is the programming language of the future, so you’d better learn it now if you want any chance of getting a software job after college.

I don’t actually recall this, but my parents told me about it. At one point they and I were were called up before a teacher and given a lecture about how bad I was doing and about how I’d failed to even turn in a major assignment. My father : “You mean the one hanging on the wall behind you ?”

I’m told it took a lot of the bite out of her criticism of me . . .

Ah yes, and the corollary from the 80’s - COBOL and FORTRAN are obsolete.

Yeah, Mr. Witte, COBOL’s so obsolete that we’re actively beating the bushes looking for COBOL programmers and training anyone with half a whit of inclination to learn it. You may not use it at home, but it still runs the bank!

I took an in-house COBOL class several years ago. A lot of the programs we used there were written in it. But it turned out that Easytrieve – which is sorta-kinda COBOL-ish – worked just as well and I already knew it. (And writing COBOL wasn’t in my job description.) I still have a couple of my simple test jobs from class. I wouldn’t mind being (re)trained in COBOL.

I like my present job, and I don’t want to go back to California though. :smiley:

While they don’t outnumber even-number engines, there are quite few out there. Saab and Suzuki had threes in cars, and several brands of motorcycles have had threes. Mercedes, and now General Motors, have inline fives. Or is it sevens? :confused:

When I was 13, in 1962, I tried to find out what antibiotic drugs were. The books I consulted called them “miracle drugs” that killed germs. While that’s vaguely true, were folks so unaware of how they worked in 1962, or that the body had its own antibodies?

My teachers told us that Muslims worship Muhammed, but even with that mistake, they didn’t tell us Islam was not a religion.

My sixth grade teacher told the class that Spain was not South of France.

I’m not saying skin color doesn’t change over time; what he said was that black babies come out of the womb looking exactly like white babies. He had a charming anecdote about being at the hospital when a black father freaked out on his wife who had just given birth because the baby was white, which he took as a sign that his wife had cheated on him. But, my science teacher explained to him black babies are always born that way, and they all had a good laugh as the baby changed color before their eyes. :rolleyes:

Nonsense! Yamaha, Kawaskaki, Suzuki, Honda and Triumph all have many different 3-cylinder machines and at least one 5-cylinder that I can think of off the top of my head…

…but whatever.