Book Burning or Flag Burning - which is worse

I’ll lob this one back to you, Qin: What sort of books would you find it objectionable to burn? What sort would you not?

For example nobody would object if someone burnt a catalog or magazines just as no one objects when someone throws them away.

You guys are reaching. Books are infinitely replaceable. Same as flags. They’re going to be obsolete in my lifetime too.

Obviously we’re talking about the symbolism of the gestures, not their practical effect.

And you have a parochial (limited to the industrial West) and optimistic (believing in renewed prosperity in the industrial West) worldview if you think books are going to be obsolete.

Not only can’t I abide with book burning, I can’t even throw books in the trash. Books I don’t want anymore I either sell, give to a library, or leave on a park bench for anyone to take.

Books, to me, no manner how trashy, are sacred objects.

What he said. I don’t really hate either and think that people should have the freedom to protest in this way, but I find the practice of book burning to be more disgusting in general because of the symbolism tied to the act.

People burning flags are either pro-patriot or anti-patriot. Neither of these views is anti-intellectual. Burning books is anti-intellectual. Burning books is worse if you value intelligence more than politics (and I do).

I’d like to see replacements for the books that burned in the library of Alexandria.

Indeed. Book burning strikes me as taking someone else’s opinions and burning them in effigy. The act can’t help but carry an anti-free-speech message.

That’s sort of how I see it. Burning a flag is an expresses a strong sentiment. Burning books also expresses a strong sentiment, but it also denies people access to its contents.

Me too.

Neither bothers me at all unless, of course, it involves confiscation of property to destroy it, but in that case, it’s the confiscation and destruction of someone else’s property that bothers me, and it would bother me equally no matter what it was. In fact, if it’s not confiscated property, it seems mostly counter productive to me because by purchasing the flag or book, you’re contributing to the idea in a way by paying money for them to produce the item so that you can destroy it.

For flag burning, it’s just a symbol. If anything, it bothers me how much reverence people show to symbols in general. I love my country for what it is, and I don’t need to show respect to a piece of cloth to demonstrate it; instead, I prefer to demonstrate it by exercising my rights and responsibilities as a citizen. That is, I will show my love for my country by actually loving my country, not something else in its place.

And for book burning, it’s even sillier. The knowledge possessed in the books doesn’t disappear, but beyond just the symbol of what a book represents, it also comes across to me as anti-intellectual, anti-knowledge. Even as a Christian myself, a Bible is just a book and a book burning does nothing to destroy its knowledge or its message. So, if anything, I think a book burning just goes to make those participating look worse.

Either way, I think both are pointless protests because they’re appeals to emotion and they only serve to invigorate those who already agree with you and inflame those who identify with what that symbol represents. Instead, I think effective protests should make an effort to present WHY one is protesting and attempt to convince those who previously were on the fence, ambivalent, or even opposed.

Thinking about it rationally, both are symbolic gestures indicating great disapproval of something, so they should be considered about equal.

But while flag burning brings to mind images of hippies and anti-Vietnam protestors, book burning makes me think of Nazis. That’s a much more powerful connection.

I consider playing with fire to make a point a bit violent. There’s nothing peaceful about it. It’s often done to incite anger, violence, dissidence, whatever.

Burning a flag is hardly, “Oh, I just want to express my anger at xyz government.” It’s “This is a symbol of America/Mexico/Italy/Israel/etc. Burn, baby, burn.”

Book burning is far more offensive to me–it’s not even a contest. Simply put, I like and respect books (even ones I find objectionable), and couldn’t give two shits about flags.

I don’t get too excited about it, but I think burning things for spectacle is pretty annoying. It’s mostly annoying because everyone makes a big deal about it.

I remember in high school wanting to make a mock version of my clarinet so I could throw it in the bonfire. It never even dawned on me that anyone would actually be offended. It would just be a joke becuase I’d obviously payed a lot for the real thing. I didn’t go through with it because the hilarity wasn’t high enough without a group, not because I thought even the band director would see it as symbolic and get upset.

As always, **xkcd **has already been there: Book burning (ironic that they’re called “Kindles”, no?).

Burning things in protest is just a temper tantrum involving fire. It’s fundamentally immature but as long as you’re not breaking any laws go for it, you big babies.

The flag represents ideas that no current government can change. Democracy and the natural rights of man are not to be lit aflame.

nm

Oh dear, I misvoted (for flag; I meant to vote book). Is there a way to change votes in polls?

I think it’s tasteless to burn either (unless it’s the Protocols). Last time i saw a flag burning it was on TV. There was a protest in AZ and a guy was burning a Mexican flag and I kept thinking, ‘That is so hateful.’

Also, while I <3 my books and read constantly, I don’t think that just because something has been published it is sacred. You can have my Running for Women and The G Free Diet. :o