Books or book series most consider "guilty pleasures"

I know nothing about Poldark (I knew that it was on PBS years ago), but I was looking at Wikipedia and apparently they are doing a new series in 2015: Poldark (2015 TV series) - Wikipedia

This should be interesting, though I doubt I’ll ever be able accept the new members of the cast after seeing the original version. At least Robin Ellis (the original Ross Poldark) is in it; I know that some of the original cast have, sadly, passed away (notably the guy who played George Warleggan).

The last time I saw Angharad Rees (Demelza Poldark) was in an episode of Remington Steele back in the '80s. After Googling her recent photos, it would seem she’s still quite beautiful as well.

Unfortunately, she died of pancreatic cancer a few years ago.

Yes, I see that now. 21 July 2012. Poor thing! I loved her too. :frowning: May she rest in peace!

The Destroyer books.
All things Valdemar.
Preston and Child.

So much this.

Does “Repairman Jack” qualify?

I likewise feel no reason for guilt re appreciating Block; but I’m a bit odd about him. I love the Scudder novels: though after so many of them, over so many years, the whole “mixture” is perhaps getting a little tired. The “Burglar” ones I find funny in spots here and there – but overall I find the series, and Bernie himself, irritatingly cutesy; and I outright loathe his “henchperson” (ugh !) the dog-groomer woman. The fellow who doesn’t sleep, and the stamp-collecting hit-man, do little or nothing for me. I really have to confess to being a one-track Scudder guy.

Looking for another thread I’d started I came back to this one and realized I’d never seen what was, up to now, the last post.

Lt. d’Arnot

I’d hardly call them a guilty pleasure; I believe I have the complete collection and there is nothing guilty about my reading them (or even taking them out in public).

I guess mine would be my fairly extensive collection of Doc Savage novels. They are written in the same style and can easily be read in a day and the writing ranges from so-so to excruciatingly bad…but I still pull them off the shelf now and then when I have an afternoon to kill.

I’ve been reading Harry Potter fanfic. There’s something like 750,000 HP fanfic authors out there. As you would expect, most are dire. But now and again you find a real gem.

Have you tried the James Potter series, by G. Norman Lippert? The first couple are really good, though I wasn’t able to get into the later ones that were set in America quite as much).

749,999 write about Harry and Hermione in a romantic relationship.

I consider the 33 1/3 book series a guilty pleasure – not because anyone would look down on me for reading them, but because I shouldn’t be “wasting” my time reading them instead of, say, my profession’s journals.

I’m sorry…you misspelled “Harry and Draco” or “Harry and Snape”.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

We’re talking guilty pleasures, right? Bertrice Small, historical romance.

Flowers in the Attic

The old V.C. Andrews books.

I remember my mother reading them when I was growing up and being fascinated with the cutaway covers. I haven’t read any of the newer stuff, I lost interest when they stopped following the “four in a row, and a prequel” format. I recently reread a few of them, and I probably won’t get any of the new ones, but still enjoyed the ones I had.