Books that make you laugh

This is what keep The Human Condition interesting, because I don’t find Douglas Adams to be very funny at all, and I’ve read every book he’s written.

Phantom Dennis, you realize that the first few Pratchett aren’t that good, don’t you? If you are laughing now, you will be comatose by the time you get to the really good stuff!

One author not mentioned yet: Tom Dorsey. The adventures of Serge and Coleman as they serial-kill their way across Florida are a hoot and a half.

Beat me to it, though I didn’t get my username from it. Funniest book I’ve read in the last 10 years.

I love "A Girl Named Zippy & “She Got Up Off The Couch” by Haven Kimmel.
VCNJ~

I’m currently rereading The Poo Bomb by Jeff Vogel in preparation for being a parent. By George, it’s funny. Rather than talking about parenthood in hushed, awed tones, he refers to his daughter as “a dopey 10-pound sack of stupid” (not maliciously; it’s just that that’s all you really expect a baby to be). The title comes from this incident, published on the web page:

If you have a strong stomach, there’s a picture of the Poo Bomb on the web page if you poke around enough for it.

I also got a great laugh recently out of a Lemony Snicket A Series of Unfortunate Events book (Book 3: The Wide Window), from a line that went something like this: “Ordinarily, it is not a good idea to put something in your mouth that you are allergic to, especially if that thing is cats.”

CalMeacham, have you read Mike Nelson’s Mind Over Matters? That one’s given me loads of laughs; it’s a series of short essays about, well, just about anything. Some are duds, but some are superb.

Simon R. Greene has a couple of series I find hysterical: the Swords of Haven and especially Blue Moon Rising, probably the funniest boy saves girl from dragon story you’ll ever read.

Paul Levine and Davis Rosenfelt are both writing courtroom/mystery books that double as comedies.

I don’t remember the author, but *Round Ireland With a Fridge * is the funniest book I’ve ever read. It’s the only book that has actually made me laugh so hard I’ve been embarrased to read it in public. It’s about a guy who makes a drunken bet that he can hitch-hike around Ireland carrying a refridgerator. If you’ve actually travelled around Ireland the book is that much better.

Before I clicked on the link to the thread I was going to mention Confederacy - Ignacious is just brilliant!

P. J. O’Rourke makes me laugh. It’s not uniformly great writing, but he comes up with some really funny stuff.

Florence King’s Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady is hilarious to me.

Another vote for Kinky Friedman and Tom Robbins.

This one of course. The good little Lutheran girl inside me kept waiting to be struck by lightning for laughing out loud while reading it.

And as mentioned, Bill Bryson’s A Walk In The Woods.
I was reading this when I got called for jury duty several years ago and kept giggling while in the waiting room.

I’ll second and third this. The humor in these books sneaks up on you unexpectedly and smacks you right between the eyes. I haven’t laughed so hard since reading the Hitchhiker books.

Yep. Didn’t do anything for me. Nor did their Tolkein-baiting website.

I find him funny, but only for the first 2/3 of the book. Not the first 2/3s OF his books, but the first 2/3s of each, individual book. Then he consistently seems to get bored with his own story and unsure of where he’s going. I just give myself permission to stop reading when it gets dull and flip to the last 10 pages to see how it ends.

Tony Hawks. It looks pretty good; I just ordered it from the library, along with several other books from the thread.

Cal, I just finished End Product…that guy’s a little weird about poop, to say the least. I mention it because now I’m going to ask for Poo Bomb through interlibrary loan…what will the librarians think???

I dunno about that - I don’t find his books nearly that consistent. Thief of Time, to me, was muddled and not very funny, and got more confusing as it went on. Feet of Clay, on the other hand, started out pretty bland and seemed to get funnier and more engaging with each page I turned. By the time I got to the end I found myself wishing it was 100 pages longer. I felt about Jingo exactly opposite of how I felt about Feet of Clay.

Good Omens is probably my favorite Pratchett work, but him and Gaiman have never said who wrote what, and they’ve stated that whenever even the most discerning fans try to guess they are almost always wrong.

I can’t wait to start reading some of these books!
“Bridget Jones’s Diary” by Helen Fielding is the only book I can think of to add to the list. I laughed reading it almost as much as I do when reading this board.

Awesome. :slight_smile:

I remember laugh out loud at White Noise:

“Give it to me straight, doc!”
“You’re going to die.”
“Enough of this medical doublespeak!”

And my father almost pissed himself reading Red Lobster, White Castle and The Blue Lagoon.

Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum novels.

Carl Haissen

Pride and Predjudice. “I admire all my sons-in-law highly,” said he. “Wickham, perhaps, is my favourite; but I think I shall like your husband quite as well as Jane’s” makes me crack up every time.

And let’s not forget The Night Life of the Gods by Thorne. Totally funny!

Most recently - I just finished reading all of the Miles Vorkosigan books, by Lois McMaster Bujold. I stayed up late reading in bed one night to finish A Civil Campaign, and I kept laughing out loud and waking my husband up.

James Herriot’s All Creatures Great and Small books haven’t been mentioned yet. Those are hilarious.