Books with extremely unlikable protagonists

Come to think of it, I’ve seen it mentioned in other threads, but Willy Wonka isn’t likable at all, is he? The stuff he lets happen to those kids (whose biggest crime is–as far as I can tell–acting like kids) would get him jailed and sued IRL.

John Updike’s Harry “Rabbit” Angstrom seems to be devoid of any redeeming quality whatsoever.

Sorry, I forgot about the “Books” im the title.

Vanity Fair’s protagonist, Becky Sharp, even merited the subtitle, “The Novel Without A Heroine”. I believe I read that Scarlett O’Hara was based on Becky, who is also a manipulative, selfish social climber. However, the book’s other characters are so stupid or silly that one really hopes that Becky succeeds in putting it over on them all.

Funny this thread pops up today because I just finished *Heart of the Country *and was thinking the same thing about the main character, Joe. I never really liked him. I totally understood why he was so bitter (having a hunchback and never really being accepted by society and all that) but he started out as a nasty piece of work and never really totally redeemed himself, IMHO. In fact, I really didn’t care for any of the main characters throughout the book. The all seemed more than a bit self-centered and the only remotely likable character (Phoebe) turned out to be a side plot, unfortunately. Still, a well written book well-worth the read though.

Scarlett was Melanie Wilkes compared to Becky Sharp. Still, even as much as you hate Becky, she’s a fun character-the kind you love to hate.

Actually, the subtitle to Vanity Fair is “A Novel Without A Hero”. Whether Thackeray intended this to apply to both genders, or to leave Miss Sharp still in the running, is of course up for debate.

Many of J. P. Donleavy’s protagonists are lying, drunken bastards, none more so than Sebastian Dangerfield, hero of The Ginger Man. My favorite is Stephen O’Kelly’O from Wrong Information Is Being Given Out at Princeton.

More info at http://www.jpdonleavycompendium.org/

You beat me to mentioning Heathcliffe. Before I ever picked up a copy of Wuthering Heights, I’d had the impression that Heathcliffe and Catherine were tragic lovers. This is because every reference to them in movies makes them seem that way–two people thwarted in love. But when I tried to read the book, I couldn’t even finish it–Old Cliffy was such a flaming a-hole and Cathy such a spoiled silly little bitch that I lost all sympathy for them, and I couldn’t enjoy the story.

I personally wanted to kick the main character guy in Slaughterhouse Five…but he dodged.

God of the Old Testament Bible.

Thirded. I had to read that crap in 11th grade, but I hated that bastard with the fire of 10,000 black hole accretion disks. Why anyone could like such a vain, shallow, and stupid character is beyond me.

Can’t remember his name but I took an almost instant dislike to the** narrator** of Ishiguro’s ‘When We Were Orphans’, I struggled to finish the bok and certainly never cared.

Holden CAULFIELD ? I just assumed he was a typical American :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes !! I am not alone !! & While we’re at it Romeo and Juliet ? Stupid kids !!

God yes, but I also felt so sorry for him. He reminded me of some of my male relatives (well none of them actually sold their wives whilst drunk, it was more the black moods and stormclouded personality).

What about Tom Ripley from Patricia Highsmith’s Ripley series? Complete bloody psychopath, literally, but the writing was so good that it was almost like you could put your conscience aside and vicariously experience life as Ripley. :eek:

Sadly, yes.

Agreed on this, especially if you tend to favor Asimov’s analysis that the feud between the families was winding down to the point where the only person on either side actually still fighting was Tybalt, because that viewpoint turns R&J into the two biggest emo kid drama queens of the Middle Ages.

All of the main characters in the Jurassic Park series after the first one. Actually, this is an ongoing complaint of mine re: Crichton. I even have a thread around here entitled “Michael Crichton Sucks Eggs”, which I do believe was my first thread ever to go to two pages. :slight_smile:

Jaq Draco from Ian Watson’s Inquisitor series. When he got his brains blown out I actually did a little happy dance.

The main character from Camus’s L’entranger. God I hated that guy. Much like any of Ayn Rand’s characters, really.

Anti-heroes are cool, but if the reader is wishing for your protagonist to be tortured, dismembered, and killed, well, you might want to rethink…

-Joe, membered, if you know what I mean

Covenant has already been taken? Oh well then, lI’ll go with what Askia said. That, or Lee from Card Captor Sakura. What a little brat!

Lucifer, from the DC Comics series by Mike Carey of the same name. He’s very charming and throughout most of the series you root for him to succeed, but he really is not a good guy.

–Cliffy