Boring Places To Go For Vacation!

Branson MO, meets most of your criteria.

Hartford City, IN – not even a mall in town.

Walla Walla, WA – good runner-up.

You’re absolutely right. I was negligent in failing to mention that visits to Deming should be in the non-duck racing season. Instead, get a 4X4 Ford, sit out by the abandoned fairgrounds listening to the dogs at the animal shelter bark, while the scent of green chile wafts over from the chile packing plant; sit back and enjoy your Miller High Life as the intense sun and wind-driven dust slowly drives you to distraction. Feel free to toss your beer cans out the window of the truck, as they’ll blend perfectly with the cans already littering the ground. Bring a firearm in case the boredom becomes overwhelming. Fun, no?

I have ten weeks left in New Mexico, ten weeks left in New Mexico, ten weeks left in New Mexico…

Sorry, but I had fun every time I was there :slight_smile:

Canberra, ACT, Australia.

How 'bout Cranfils Gap,Texas? I’ve been there and there is NOTHING there. It’s like time stopped somewhere in the sixties and nobody told anybody about it. It’s the most BORING place I’ve ever been…unless you like goat roping. They got goats and you can rope em…if ya can catch them that is.:smiley:

IDBB

Yay, goonhead!

I assume that was Riverside Park you stayed in. The museum is in the abandoned power plant across the river, and there’s more historical stuff up on the hill (yes, the hill, the one and only). Did the Legion or one of the other service clubs come around with coffee? They always used to encourage tourists that way.

I hear the middle of the ocean is nice this time of year.

I was going to suggest Des Moines, Iowa. Then I realized that it’s one of the insurance company capitals of the midwest (or so I’ve heard) so that one was out.

I’d suggest Union, Maine, but it’s the annual home of the Maine Bluebery Festival, so that won’t work.

Then I thought of Hullett, Wyoming, but it’s too close to Devil’s Tower.

I’ve lived in Southern New Hampshire, Southern Maine and in the Boston area - ALL of those places are far too exciting and culture-filled for your quest.

In my mind, the only place that really fits is Skull Spring, Oregon

Bring a fishing rod and a pillow.

… and that link didn’t work at all. you’ll have to look it up yourself.

I chuckle at all those who dare to suggest any place other then the heart of the Great Plains. Hours and hours of flat featureless landscapes in every direction. It’s enough to bring a tear to my eye. Don’t let them sway you away from Kansas and Mt. Sunflower. Check out those brave souls ascent to the summit. Oh their fortitude.

Then you’ve got the several hour drive back to Manhattan. Oh there’s nothing like driving across the Great Plains. You’ll be so bored you be looking forward to road kill. Oops, be sure to watch out for those speed traps in those little one horse towns along the way.

Actually, I get very homesick when you mention that, and think that that sounds quite enjoyable! I really miss that experience, especially in the summer, and can’t wait to return to my roots as soon as possible.

So if you do want to go somewhere nice and boring, I suppose you could try some places out in that area?

You might also want to mention how truly terrible chile packing plant stench is for those who’ve never had the, err, experience. :smiley:

Oh, another example: Milton Keynes, UK. Imagine a town designed by planners who wanted a spacious, leafy city, and constructed by builders with no imagination and an endless supply of concrete – [link].

Dover, Tennessee.

Milton Keynes is Las Vegas compared to Bournemouth. I spent a year in Bournemouth, one week.

Outside the UK, may I recommend Wabowden, in Manitoba? Guaranteed devoid of any kind of stimulus whatsoever. You’ll love it if you’re catatonic.

That town that’s just a strip mall (or several), a big grocery store, a 7-11 and 2 gas stations

How about the following?

Valentine, Nebraska - The “heart” of Cherry County (county seat). Not much to do other than check out the Sand Hills.

Loving County, Texas - I don’t think there’s a hotel in Mentone (the county seat - population: about 50), but if you’re looking for a place that has absolutley nothing (other than scrub vegetation), then this is the place.

Churchill, Manitoba - best time to visit is in the spring or summer when the black flies are thickest. Or you can visit during the winter when it’s bitterly cold.

I need to share this with my fellow “banality buffs”…I can see there are aLOT of you out there…why don’t we start a travel agency for boring vacations?
Anyway,
-Elida, NM: outside of a fly-blown gas station, NOBODY appears to live there! I actually had pumped my gas and washed my windows before a slightly befuddled attent appeared to take my money! This place is heaven on earth!
-Florida, MA: along the famous "Mohawk Trail "(Rt. 2). This place is great! The locals appear to be zombies!
-Charlemont, MA: after ski season ends (and before blackfles appear), the locals hang out at the one bar in town, and get hammered.
Keep those boring places coming! I really want to have a “Boring USA” tour some day!

Then don’t forget to visit Boring, Oregon.

And yes, chile packing plants can really stink. Like if you take green chiles, added some salt, and let them cook at 200 degrees for 5 hours, maybe with a little dirt added in for good measure.

To the OP:

Nothing I can reccomend more: Minot, ND The most removed 25k+ town in the US

Trust me, I’ve had to endure it for 3+ years.

Tripler
I prefer 60k+ towns myself. . .