Botticelli, May 2012 - Wargamer, chooser; initial D

IQ1: Are you James MacArthur’s best known role?

IQ2: Are you the writer of ‘The Commitments’, among many other books?

IQ3: Did you play the president’s assistant on ‘The West Wing’?

I feel I should know a couple of these, but I don’t. So three DQs for you, sir!

1. You were distracted by the hula dancer in the opening credits, I feel sure. James MacArthur played Danny Williams on Hawaii Five-O - each episode ended with Jack Lord as Steve McGarrett saying 'Book ‘em, Danno’.

2. Roddy Doyle, author of ‘The Commitments’, ‘The Snapper’, ‘The Van’, ‘Paddy Clarke, Ha, Ha, Ha’ as well as the children’s books collected as ‘The Rover Adventures’.

3. **Dulé Hill ** played the role of Charlie Young on The West Wing from 1999 until 2006.

So -

DQ1 - Were you born between 1800 and 1900?

DQ2 - Are you a military figure?

I’ll save my last DQ for a little later, if I may.

DQ Answer Summary

DQ Summary

1. Male
  2. Not fictional.
  3. Not French.
  4. Dead.
  5. I am an American.
  6. I am not noted for participation in The Arts.
  7. I am not a political figure.
  8. I was not born in 1900 or later.
  9. I was not born north of the mason-Dixon line.
  10. My last name starts with the letter D.
  11. I was born between 1800 and 1900.
  12. I am probably best known as a military figure, although I gained initial prominence in another field of endeavor.

DQs Outstanding

Chock/Goodness - 1
Elendil’s Heir - 3
Le Ministre - 1

You are not David Gilmour of Pink Floyd fame, who took over the band after the departure of Roger Waters, who had in turn taken over after Syd Barrett left.

DQ: Did your military career include involvement in the US Civil War?

DQ Answer Summary

DQ Summary

1. Male
  2. Not fictional.
  3. Not French.
  4. Dead.
  5. I am an American.
  12. I am probably best known as a military figure, although I gained initial prominence in another field of endeavor.
  13. My military career did not include service in the Civil War.
    DQs Outstanding

Elendil’s Heir - 3
Le Ministre - 1

Did you sail into Manilia Bay

No, I am not Admiral Dewey.

DQ: Did your military career include service in World War I?

DQ Answer Summary

DQ Summary

1. Male
  2. Not fictional.
  3. Not French.
  4. Dead.
  5. I am an American.
  13. My military career did not include service in the Civil War.
  14. I was in the military during the period of 1914-18. (Clarifying - I saw no combat service during that period however.)

DQs Outstanding

Elendil’s Heir - 3

Side talk - Okay, American military history is not my specialty at all. What would a US military figure have been involved in between the US civil war and World War I? Spanish-American war? Boer War? It makes more sense to me that someone born before 1900 could have been wounded or decorated and gone on to be a General/Admiral for WWI… Ideas?

IQ1: Is you daughter the queen of the underworld?
IQ2: Are you the King of the Surf Guitar?
IQ3: Do you wonder, wo-wo-wo-wo-wonder, why, why, why, why. why, why she ran away?

Spanish-American War is the biggie for that time period. Admiral Dewey has already been eliminated. There were also numerous Indian Wars in that time frame. It’s also possible that some one born in the 1890s could have been a nobody in WWI and rose to prominence in WWII or Korea. Also keep in mind the US was only involved in WWI for the last 18 months, so it isn’t like our mystery person avoided combat for 4 years.

1. I am not Demeter, mother of Persephone. (I think it’s Demeter, right?)
  2. I am not Dick Dale.
  3. I am not Dion (?).

Right time frame, wrong singer. Del Shannon sang “Runaway” (although Dion sang “Runaround Sue”, so the confusion is understandable.

You are correct on Demeter.

Bump

Are you famous for leading a squadrom that bombed Japan?

Dolley Madison’s husband James is one of only three Presidents to personally lead troops during his term of office - George Washington (Whiskey Rebellion, 1794) and Abraham Lincoln (Hampton Roads, 1862) were the other two.
Dilbert almost always wears a hoodie off-duty.
British Prime Minister David Lloyd George did this.

DQs:

Known as a businessman?
Generally considered as being from east of the Mississippi River?

I yield my third DQ for whoever would like to ask it. Right now no one is springing to mind, given the DQ answers we have so far.

IQs:

Did a subordinate joke that, early in his career, he attended your “school of drama”?
Were you that subordinate?
Did you once attend a party with your salary printed on a sign around your neck?

Yes! I am Jimmy Doolittle!

Doolittle was brn in 1896 and spent World War I as a pilot instructor in Texas. During the interwar years, he was probably the second-most famous pilot (maybe third, after Lindbergh and maybe Amelia Earhardt) in the country, winning numerous air races.

When WW II broke out, Doolittle volunteered to lead the raid on Tokyo, and ended up commanding the 8th Air Force at the end of the war. Interestilngly enough, he flew a bombing raid on Rome while in the Med, and if he had been allowed to by Eisenhower, he would have flown a raid on Berlin to become the only person to bomb all three Axis capitals.
!
Congrats etv78!

For Elendil’s Heir’s IQs, I believe he’s referring to Douglas MacArthur and aforementioned Dwight D. Eisenhower. I have no clue who the third IQ refers to.

Way to go, etv78!

Yes, MacArthur and Eisenhower.
The third was Dorothy Parker. Forbidden by their employer to “talk about” their salaries, they had a party in which they wrote them down on signs instead and hung them around their necks.