Boys "Husky" clothing...anyone else feel as ugly about it as I do?

Big and Tall doesn’t make any sense in the context of a child. At 5’ 10" I’m a perfectly average height for a grown man. Someone who is 7 inches taller at 6’5" is a tall man by any standard. It makes sense to call that’s man’s clothes big and tall.

With children it’s different because they’re all growing taller. A little boy who stayed perfectly average his whole childhood might be an 8R at age 8, then a year later a 9R then eventually a 10R (we call this growing). Therefore, a little boy who is taller and proportionately bigger for his age doesn’t need a “big and tall”. He can wear the 9R when he’s 8 and the 10R when he’s 9.

A husky boy’s clothes are addressing an inherently different proportioned boy. A husky 8 year old can’t wear the 9R because he’s not taller than average. And when he’s tall enough for the 9R he’ll be too big around to fit in it, but now too short for the 10R. The huskiness is addressing his proportions.

Keep ‘Husky’, add ‘Hot’. Anywhere. Doesn’t matter.

Or rename the sizing “YH&H fitting” which could ostensibly stand for youth, height & heft, but all the boys know it really stands for young, hung and hot.

[QUOTE=6ImpossibleThingsB4Breakfast;17596443…young, hung and hot.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like an Asian law firm.

^ +10 pts.

Husky is cool. Brings forth images of brawlers, lumberjacks, footballers, or Alaskan dogs. All cool things. The best euphemism for “plus-size” ever, if you ask me.

I suppose there isn’t enough room on the tag for “endomorph” (or meso- or ectomorph, for that matter)

There should be a public out cry.If guys are wearing husky clothes ,large t-shirt or XL t-shirt they need to join the gym.People are fat these days and getting fatter.

I’m socked at Eat Asians like the Philippines how small they are and many of the times the clothes look bigger on them because they are so small.

There needs to be one hour or more of gym time in school every day.Or in 50 year from now people wear be wearing XXL husky clothes.

If you think that’s bad, I remember reading a page from the women’s clothing section of a catalog from the 1930s. It cheerfully proclaimed that their dresses were also available in “Stout” sizes.

I don’t have audio on my work PC, so I can’t vouch this link has the right quote, but it’s what came up when I Googled “Margaret Cho husky”:

Here's what Wikiquote claims the line is:

My original point was only that I’m willing to bet there’s a certain age demograhic that had never heard the word before her routine.

This thread reminds me of one of Lileks’s entries under a 1970s fashion picture he lampoons on his website.

“Dorcus Menswear” - a thankfully extinct fashion line.

This cracked me up. Why, indeed?

For the record, I have no problem with the term “Husky”. It just sounds very old fashioned to my ears.

I slipped into my first pair of husky jeans in 1992 and didn’t think anything of it until 1994 when I was introduced to husky pencils that were roughly 1.25x the diameter of regular pencils and it dawned on me what husky mean. Oh the shame.

There was a year or so when I had to buy my son “husky” jeans. The word totally bugged me.

It wasn’t that he got fat either. He was about the same as ever. It’s that the trend of really really skinny jeans took over and it was impossible to find anything in larger boys sizes that wasn’t cut like pantyhose. Then things normalized a bit.

Husky. Ecch.

Good god. He’s wearing an ascot!

Because “husky” means something entirely different from women’s “plus size” ( I don’t think I’ve ever seen a girls “plus size”, but it’s a been long time since I’ve bought kid’s clothing)

Women’s plus sizes are simply the larger sizes. Different stores may start the “plus size” section at a different point , but size 16 is either in the plus size section or not- there’s not a size 16 and a size 16 plus. (although there may be 16 ,16 petite, and 16 tall differing in length)

Women’s clothing comes in at most 3 lengths which don’t really vary by size (a size 10 is the same length as a size 14), but in children’s clothing, the leg and sleeve length increases with the waist size, so that a size 10 is longer than an 8 which is longer than a 6. " Husky", “slim” and “regular” sizes for boy’s pants are the same length but different waist measurements for a given size. Husky shirts have the same sleeve length but a larger chest measurement.

Since men’s pant’s are generally bought by waist and inseam size, it’s not necessary to have 'petite" , “tall”, “husky” or “slim” sizes for men’s pants. However, men"s dress shirts (which are ordinarily sized by neck size and sleeve length) come in “athletic cut” , “regular cut”, “full cut” etc depending on the proportion of the shoulders and the waist. I’m not sure “full cut” sounds any better than “husky”

I’ve never heard “husky” used as a clothing size in the UK, but I could guess straight away that it was a euphemism for “fat”.

(I wonder how the obesity epidemic would be affected, if we replaced all these euphemisms on clothes labels with the plain old word “fat”…)

As a woman, I would kill to be able to buy my pants this way. No, I have to remember which size I am in each manufacturer and further, in each different style by each brand.

Just put the inseam/waist size on, like you do with men’s jeans!

You are wrong.

Really- there’s a store or catalog or clothing line that has both 16 and 16 plus or 18 and 18 plus? Or better yet, 14 and 14 plus? Because I’ve never seen it- and I’d love to know where I might get clothing that fits better. I’ve seen 16 and 16P - but the P is for Petite, not plus. And stores that have a plus size (or Women’s) section start at 14 or 16 or 18 (perhaps with a W) and go up- size 10 or 12 is never in that section and if 14 and 16 are in the plus section, then the Misses section ends at 12.

What’s the difference between a size 16 plus and a size 18?

I find the phrasing just fine. However I would like the same phrasing for both genders in the fashion industry.

Land’s End Size Charts: Click on Women’s Dresses to see a comparison of their different sizes. They carry 16, 16W, 18, and 18W, and a limited selection of 14W. They also show what measurement’s go with each size.

I’ve tried on Gloria Vanderbilt jeans in 16, 16W and 18. The 16s are a tiny bit tight, the 18s are just a tiny bit loose, but the 16Ws I can pull off my hips without unbuttoning them.