Brag about your culinary triumphs here!

I had leftovers in the fridge and a hungry wife to feed. The leftovers included, but were not limited to:

• several kinds of frozen fruit (for smoothies)
  • two hearts of romaine
  • two seasoned chicken breasts (Thai peanut marinade) already cooked, but cold
  • several half-peppers and half-onions leftover from quesadillas the night before
  • a lime

I took the peppers, the frozen mango chunks, onions, the lime, and some spices, and made a mostly-frozen mango salsa. While the mango thawed, I shredded the chicken breasts into a skillet. I scooped the salsa over the chicken and heated it until sizzling. The onions and peppers remained stiff, but the overall consistency was similar to barbecued pulled pork: meat in a gooey vegetable sauce base.

I poured the hot mix into a deep bowl, placed it in the center of a large plate, and laid out crisp romaine leaves in a circular fan on the plate. We scooped the chicken-mango-salsa into the leaves, and ate them as Asian lettuce wraps. Rave reviews.

Elapsed time from “what the hell are we going to eat” to “Oh my god, why aren’t there restaurants around here that serve this?”: 10 minutes.

My last pizza was not as good as previous ones–something went all tragic with the crust, and it kept ripping and sogifying. But previous ones have been incredibly delicious.

However, the weekend was not a total culinary loss: I infused vodka with fresh vanilla, and made a lemon drop from the infused vodka, and it was absolutely charming.

Daniel

Last week, on Wednesday, I made something I’m calling saltimbocca stew. Not really saltimbocca (thin-sliced meat with a marsala sauce), but some of the same flavors added to a stew: Saute onions and carrots for a few minutes. Add stock, whole garlic cloves, and other veggies per your usual stew procedure. Later add potatoes, plus sriracha for the kick. At this point, begin a reduction of marsala wine, stock, shallots, and tarragon. When the potatoes are done, stir in this reduction, plus green beans and thinly-sliced meat (I used duck). The hot stew will cook the meat in a couple of minutes; serve immediately.

On Saturday, I made coffee-smoked duck breast covered with an orange-kahlua sauce, plus a grilled portabello cap and a mild yogurt-based topping. To coffee-smoke, soak whole coffee beans in water same as you would with wood chips, and make the foil packet with the holes, then put the packet on the charcoal until the grill is all smoky, then throw in your meat. Works best with dark meat, obviously. The orange-kahlua sauce is just what it sounds like, a reduction of kahlua, orange juice, stock, and herbs. Unusual, but tasty. The portabello recipe: Start with a large portabello mushroom; separate the cap from the stem. Wipe clean with a wet paper towel (don’t rinse, you’ll affect the aroma). Trim and dice the stem, saute in butter with minced shallot, set aside. Grill the cap top-side-down for 8-10 minutes (water will begin separating inside the cup shape). For the sauce, start as if you’re doing a hollandaise, whisking salt, water, and egg yolks in a double boiler, but instead of adding butter, add greek yogurt. Whip smooth. Then add the sauteed stem back in, plus diced tomato. Salt to taste (doesn’t need a lot), spoon over the grilled cap. Yummy.

Last night, for friends, I made an avocado bisque: half a dozen whole garlic cloves, three avocados, stock, cream, butter, and a handful of wilted spinach into the cuisinart, plus a dash of salt; process until smooth. Add chopped crab meat, blend, and heat gently. I also had chicken breasts marinated in lime juice, ginger juice, honey, and minced garlic, which went on the grill; the leftovers will be sliced thin and used in an Asian salad with chow mein noodles and sesame dressing over mixed greens. Oh, and beer-batter biscuits. For dessert, I made panna cotta, stacked on match-cut watermelon disks, and a watermelon-caramel sauce over, topped with a couple of raspberries.

I like my kitchen. :slight_smile:

[ul]
[li]300g good white chocolate[/li][li]200g butter[/li][li]200g plain flour[/li][li]150g caster sugar[/li][li]3 eggs[/li][li]half a teaspoon vanilla essence[/li][li]pinch of salt[/li][/ul]

Grease and line a 18x28cm baking tin, and pre-heat oven to 180C

Melt the butter and half the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, whisking occasionally to keep it a smooth consistency. When melted, remove from heat.

Chop the other half of the chocolate into small pieces.

Beat the eggs, caster sugar and vanilla essence together till pale.

Beat in the melted chocolate and butter mixture.

Fold in the flour and salt.

Mix in the chocolate pieces.

Pour into tin.

Bake in oven for 20 minutes, or until the top is firm, but the inside still squishy.

I made some homemade ginger ale because of a link in a Café Society thread a few days ago.

When I cracked open the bottle and saw bubbles of carbonization, I was like whoa! Rock on!

As an added benefit, it also tastes fantastic! :slight_smile:

I make the best chili ever. Sure, it’s not traditional (it has beans), but it rocks.

Ok, Angua… You need to give up the recipe for the chocolate cake. I’ve been looking for a dense, dark choco cake recipe. Please tell me the cake had a dense texture…

My most recent culinary triumph was accidental and unexpected because I needed to use up a few days of leftovers. I had about a half of a beef chuck roast, some leftover homemade frenchfries, a rich homemade beef gravy, a small amount of creamed corn, and some carrots that were getting old in the crisper. With these base ingredients plus some canned tomatoes, beans, macaroni, and oregano I made a surprisingly good and very substantial minestrone soup. I know, it sounds a bit weird…gravy? Leftover french fries? CREAMED CORN?!! Trust me, It tasted good and best of all the food didn’t go to waste.

I managed to pull off pate feuilletee (laminated pastry dough) last week for some pastry-style croissants. There are so many steps to the process that I was certain I’d screw it up somewhere, but the texture and taste were both perfect. (They even looked good!)

I still have half the dough; I’ll probably try filling these with something.

Yep, dense and gooey.

Here’s the reicpe.

[ul]
[li]150g fine chocolate – at least 72% cocoa[/li][li]75g shelled, chopped hazlenuts[/li][li]30g butter[/li][li]2.5 tablespoons double cream[/li][li]5 eggs, seperated[/li][li]3 tablespoons caster sugar[/li][li]75g plain four[/li][li]25g cocoa powder [/li][li]generous splash of whatever flavoured liqueur you fancy. I’ve used Drambuie (orange), and raspberry liqueur before. You could also add a touch of vanilla. Not coffee though, its pretty strongly flavoured as it is.[/li][li] A shallow spring clip base cake tin, or a deep tart tin with a tight fitting removable base, 20cm in diameter.[/li][/ul]

Method:

Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4

Break the chocolate into small chunks, trying not to eat any of it, and melt over a pan of simmering water.

Meanwhile roast the hazlenuts in the oven slightly, till they’re golden brown.

When the chocolate has melted, stir in the butter until it melts, and the cream.

Remove from the heat.

Beat the egg whites till they stand in peaks, and fold the sugar into this using a metal spoon.

Stir the egg yolks quickly into the chocolate, butter and cream mix.

Fold the flour, cocoa, and hazlenuts into this. Fold the egg whites and egg mixture into this. There should be no streaks of white, and the mixture should be light and airy – rather like an unset chocolate mousse.

Pour all of it into the tin, and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes – the outer edges of the cake should be firm, and the middle should be wobbly, it’ll have a gooey creamy centre.

Let it cool for about 10 minutes, and remove the tin. Dust with cooca powder if you want, and dish up. Serve in small slices (its very rich), whilst still warm, with either cream, creme fraiche, or ice cream (Bailey’s ice cream works very well – you have Bonzer to thank for that one!).

Enjoy.

Oh yes… I will. And so will the Scotsman. Thank you!!!

No problem. :slight_smile:

And it does come Scotsman approved. :slight_smile: