Brands That DON'T Advertise? Why Not?

Sounds like a disease out of South Africa.

There are Rolls Royce commercials on YouTube. I have no idea where you’d see them actually aired on television, though. Perhaps during a broadcast of a polo tournament?

And as others said, there are non-television forms of marketing. Perhaps Rolls Royce puts ads in the inflight magazine on Emirates?

Not to highjack, but proper cornbread has four ingeredients: self rising cormeal mix (itself an mix of cornmeal, some flour and baking soda/powder), buttermilk, egg(s), fat (oil, shortening, lard).

Cornbread has only six ingredients, total: corn meal, white flour, oil, egg, milk and a pinch of baking powder. I consider sugar optional. Jiffy Mix (which is for “Corn Muffins,” BTW, not “corn bread”) includes sugar and granulated shortening, but requires the egg and milk to be added.

Really, by the time you’re done with it, making cornbread from scratch is exactly the same amount of work and cheaper. Junior Barbarian learned to turn out a perfect iron-skillet pan of it at 10, unassisted, whenever the chili or beef stew was almost ready.

You forgot the salt. Otherwise correct. :stuck_out_tongue:

I tend to use more salt than Mrs. B likes, so I blanked out on that.

Sheesh. I went to rummage through some recipes to see if any omitted salt, and in ten tries I found ten whose first ingredient was “One box cornbread mix.” (And then had as many added ingredients as the scratch stuff.) Excuse me while I go boggle.

Going back to the gas stations that advertise. In addition BP and Marathon and the others mentioned, you also have Shell and a midwest regional chain called Casey’s.

Back in the '70s and '80s Marathon was a sponsor of Cincinnati Reds radio broadcasts, so I heard those commercials on the radio all the time.

No, you guys lose points with flour. Mine has cornmeal, baking powder, butter/bacon fat, buttermilk, eggs and salt.

I realize we aren’t all slave to Southern tradition, but that how we usually do it down here.

Too overpowering a flavor and too crumbly without flour (around 1:2 ratio to the corn meal). Some will be taking off points for not putting whole-kernel corn in there, though.

Overpowering, really? Never heard that one before. I also find it to be less crumbly (and less dense) but that’s just my experience.

Yeah, the corn meal-only is too strong and narrow a flavor, and tends to be good only for crumbling into the chili. That one-third flour binds it all better and seems to moderate the flavor.

I prefer not to use buttermilk or any of the analogues, too. But then, I like all my breads fairly mild, as a base for whatever I’m eating them with. (Mrs. B. is the one who will drool over eight-grain walnut olive garlic bread that is one pinch away from implosion into a black hole.)

But then, she’s bringing me back a suitcase of real sourdough on Monday, so I can’t complain. (It was almost a deal-breaker to find out you can’t get sourdough up here… we have to have our daughter send us care packages, and always take oversized suitcases on visits.)

I certainly don’t mind cornbread with flour, it’s common enough and can be excellent. But I think
the crumbly issue you speak of may be a function of whatever recipe you used. Mine is light and soft.

1. Their mixes are half the size of everyone else’s, and yield half the finished product. People would rather pay for two 69c packages of yellow cake mix than one $1.30 package of yellow cake mix, because math is hard.

Now I want some cornbread.

Our recipe uses white flour, FWIW.

Or because a smaller cake leads to less waste.

Or one box to a layer.

Jiffy’s corn muffin mix makes good cornbread pancakes. Just add more milk to thin the batter.

Back to the stated topic, No-ad brand sunblock?

If you’re going to include essentially generic products (store brand, multiple store brand, generic, second-tier), you have to pay attention to the part above about marketing within the distribution chain.

Certainly, generic products or the no-namers are rarely if ever advertised to the consumer. They are indeed pitched heavily to the wholesalers and resellers as a high-margin shelf-filler next to the brand-name products. No one goes into a drug store looking for generic sunblock (at least, I’d say few people do) but those looking for a bargain will take No-Ad over Coppertone. It doesn’t need any advertising beyond being half the price.

If you really want to blow your tastes buds, try it with Crema Mexicana. I make a skillet cornbread with goat cheese, roasted ancho chiles, and the crema (and I use flour) that is to die for. Or at least to kill for.