[QUOTE=Lemur866]
Eire774, the problem with your approach is that it gives anyone who doesn’t want to go an “out”. You don’t want to serve? Then just fuck off in Basic Training, and they’ll give up and send you back home. So…why would any draftee do anything other than fuck off all day every day during Basic Training?
If you weed out the gays, the stoners, the dumbasses, the medical cases, then you’ve got a huge incentive for unwilling draftees to prove they’re gay, a stoner, a dumbass, or a medical case.
In today’s military you get kicked out if you fail a drug test. That would have to be changed in a conscipt army, rather than discharge you’d have to get some kind of punishment, otherwise all you’d need for a ticket home is to smoke a joint. You can get kicked out if you fail your physical fitness test. That would have to be changed, otherwise all you’d need to do is slack off during the test and you get a ticket home. Or tell your CO you’re a big fag. Or whatever.
In other words, a draft that disqualified people like you suggest is essentially equivalent to today’s volunteer military, the only difference is that it would be an opt-out plan instead of an opt-in plan. But anyone with an ounce of motivation could get out of military service with a minimal amount of effort. And so, why bother?
[/QUOTE]
Come on, we had draft boards for how many years? During that time you don’t think there were a few people who tried to scam the system. However, if someone was not fit for military service, put them into a national service program to fulfill their national obligation. They could teach, work in hospitals, maybe start some New Deal type programs where we fix up the f’d up highway system. I’m not saying give them a free ticket home. And if they are so screwed up that they can’t handle any other obligation, then let them go.
I know that Israel used to have a mandatory conscription with some variances made for ultra-Orthodox Jews. It even included women. I’m not sure if it is still in effect but I thought that it had worked out pretty good for them. Maybe one of our Israeli Dopers can provide some insight.
Your statement “Or tell your CO you’re a big fag.” Reminded me of when I was in basic training. One guy in my platoon was tired of pushups, running, inspections and the general bullshit of the Army. He told me he was going to go tell the CO that he was gay and then take the dishonorable discharge. He just didn’t give a shit anymore.
I watched him walk into our unit CO’s office. The door was shut and about two minutes later, the guy walked out looking really depressed.
I asked him what happened.
“I told the CO that I was gay and wanted to get out of the Army.”
“What did he say,” I asked.
“He stood up, pulled out his dick and told me that if I sucked him off and swallowed that he’d sign the papers. I looked at his dick, looked at him and then just walked out.”
My buddies and I just busted up. The guy kept repeating, “I can’t believe he wanted a blowjob just to prove I was gay. Why wouldn’t he just believe me!”
