British dopers, tell me about your meals

Geordie soul food: mince and tatties with suet dumplings, leeks and carrots.

I’d have made leek puddings for preference, but they need to steam for two hours, and I’m hungry.

Presumably you rode your bike down hilly streets filled with cobbles? :slight_smile:

No, and I don’t like brown bread.

Extra virgin olive oil works because it imparts a lot of flavour. Get it as hot as possible to ensure crispiness, and lots of it so it soaks in. Tastes a bit Italian though.

I’m afraid not. Lighting a fire will burn down my mudhut. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, Transport cafe, Truck stop are one and the same. Sometimes a petrol station is close by but not always and you don’t get many bikers at transports

FYI: They have an annual award for the best transport cafe in the UK, winner get a ginormous silver cup to hold for a year and as a matter of fact I ate in one place in North wales that had won the trophy for the 2nd time., I forget the name or even the exact location.

They had a system whereby truckers could call ahead to order and when they arrived they simply went to the front of the queue and picked up their grub.

Dominic : You have mud huts in Wigan now?..we still live in caves and eat our sprogs when times are hard.

Guess you’ll be getting running water and electricity in a decade or so, you jammy buggers

More properly, the bread is used to absorb the fat left from cooking all the other ingredients.

We Brits tend not to mix sweet and savoury stuff in the same course in the same way as is common in the US. In one thread a doper mentioned how she prepared dinner for her English relatives and was dismayed when they all ignored the fruit salad she put on the table - they all assumed it was for dessert.

Having said that, juice at breakfast would be quite common.

Exceptions to this would be things like apple sauce with roast pork, cranberry jelly or cumberland sauce with turkey or other roast meats… But you’re right - a dessert-style sweet side dish with a main course would be unusual on most British tables.

I just meant that no one calls it blood pudding. It’s always called that in The Simpsons or other American spoofs of British cuisine but I’ve never heard it called that.

Well most of my family’s from Norn Iron so we’d have it the odd time but I don’t think it’s nearly as common down here in Mexico. I think it’s the potato farls that only Ormo does, my sis buys them when she’s up north.

4AM drunken kebab/curry?

My sister has requested we pop a few packages of such in our luggage if we ever visit her in Liverpool.

There was a time IIRC that black pudding could only be obtained across the border, or perhaps that’s just my imagination. Sometime around the BSE crisis?

As would jam with fried eggs on toast (jam on the toast, egg on top of the jam), or in a sausage biscuit (two things that my American wife does). For Brits unfamiliar with this style of “biscuit”, just think of whether you would put strawberry jam in a sausage sandwich.

I like marmalade with sausages. A sour jam (plum or blackcurrant maybe) might work…

Are you absolutely certain you’re British, 100%.

Marmalade with sausage?..you pervert :stuck_out_tongue:

ah! a lightbulb moment. Is THIS why MacDonald’s sells pancakes with sausage and maple syrup together?

One of my favourite kid meals was fishfingers on toast, covered in melted cheese, with a scoop of blackcurrant jam on top. That was yummy, plus - all the major food groups!

When I resort to a McDonald’s breakfast, I buy Pancakes & sausage plus a hash brown, and eat it as two separate courses.

Most everything I know about British culture I’ve learned from Jethro Tull songs. The Old Rocker with his Harley Davidson and Triumph Bonneville.

Bangers and mash. Mmmmm.

With lashings of onion gravy :smiley: