British Hard Rock ca. 1970-75

You bet that this cover is not only “edgy” in Germany, but against the law.

This is what I came in here to say. Slade was a great band that was just too damn British to really make it here in the USA.

It’s not British, but there’s quite a bit of Australian stuff that should fit the bill.

Lobby Loyde and the Coloured Balls
Pre-Rose Tattoo Buster Brown
Masters Apprentices

A number of the best of these have been re-released by ‘Aztec Music’, so this list is worth perusing

Definitely not unknown but great bands:

Traffic
Derek and Dominos - Okay, only Eric is British!
Blind Faith - 1969

You don’t say what appeals to you about the bands you’ve listed, but many of them have their roots in the Blues.

Atomic Rooster was short lived, at least the lineup in which duCann was the frontman, and had some flashes of brilliance. Their organ player was very creative and had been in Arthur Brown’s band. Their music and lyrics had a real sinister edge at times. Fairly unique stuff that I’m personally fond of compared to most early 70s hard rock. I think “Tomorrow Night” was their most successful song and that fits right in with the style you’ve been mentioning, can’t go wrong with that one.

Certainly not a band that was neglected by historians, and there’s only one of their albums that really sounds this way, but check out Electric Light Orchestra’s On the Third Day (1973).

A couple of samples:
Ma-Ma-Ma Belle (Marc Bolan of T. Rex plays guitar on this one)
Showdown
New World Rising / Ocean Breakup (Reprise)

Bad Company

I think I got a handle on what the OP is asking for:

Ducks Deluxe - solid rock and roll

The Motors - 2 of the guys from the Ducks started this band (ha! I just saw that they threw this in as a factoid in the video; awesome!)

Dr. Feelgood - these guys totally fucking rock; OF COURSE they’re going to be on this list

Bees Make Honey - a bit rockabilly, I admit

Eddie and the Hot Rods - because hey why not continue the 50s influence eh

I’m seeing a lot of **Glam Rock **bands so far, so consider:
The Sweet
Wizzard
T Rex
Mud
Suzi Quatro

and, of course, certain periods of David Bowie and Roxy Music.

How about Stone the Crows or The Sensational Alex Harvey Band (SAHB)?

Or maybe Argent? Not sure how big they were in the US. Or even Curved Air, but they’re much more towards the prog end of the scale…
OrNazareth.

All youtube links

No recommendation in hand, sorry, but I do want to give a shout out to the underapppreciated Faces.

I almost dropped my crumpet into my tea when I first heard “Ooh La La” in an Amazon Echo commercial.
mmm

I would look into Savoy Brown, Wishbone Ash, the Groundhogs, and Chicken Shack.

Yeah, this sounds good and like what I’m looking for. I’ve known Dr. Feelgood for a long time, they had a small hit in Germany with “Milk And Alcohol” ca. 1979. But I only really checked them out much later, a few years ago when they were brought to my attention here in a CS thread. Yes, they totally rock!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I’ve got a lot to listen to this weekend.

I was born in 68 and grew up with Sweet, T Tex and Suzi Quatro. One of my first childhood memories is watching Disco with Suzi Quatro in a leather jumpsuit, playing a bass guitar bigger than herself and shouting her heart out in “Can The Can” and “48 Crash”. I still lover her. And the first rock songs I remember hearing on a record were T Rex’s “Hot Love” and “Metal Guru” which were on two compilation albums my parents had.

And just the other day, I started to dig into Wizzard and listened to their first two albums. Good stuff.

I always think of Chicken Shack as a late 60s band, probably because that’s when Christine Perfect/McVie was a member, but I see thay were active well into the 70s after she left…
Brian Auger did some good stuff but it’s either too early or tending more towards jazz.

Too late to edit: oops, I confused Wizzard with the Move, Roy Wood’s former band. So I dug into the Move, not Wizzard.

This is an esoteric category and I love it! Two that I stumbled on that I really dig:

Iron Claw

Wicked Lady

I’d also check out Ten Years After

Be-bop Deluxe are pretty much footnotes now, and suffered from trying to be everything to everybody, being more Bill Nelson and sidemen than an actual band, and having a truly awful name, but when they were good, as with 1974’s Axe Victim, they were as good as anyone of that era: Bill Nelson was one hell of a guitarist, and songs like Rocket Cathedrals and Jets at Dawn are just terrific 70s rock. And if Jet Silver and the Dolls of Venus is essentially a fanfic mashup of “Starman” and “Ziggy Stardust” with a bit of “All The Young Dudes” thrown in, it’s still enormous fun.

Depending on your definition (which was vague to begin with), there’s Van der Graff Generator