Bullet Fired Straight Up

a .223, fired at just a slight angle, seems to peek after about 3 seconds (watching tracers). It starts at about 3,300’/sec.

• Ya have to live in a quite remote area to try things like this, but I’d point out that most modern rifles fire at around 3000 feet per second. I live just seven miles from a military airbase, so I’ll have to pass on experiments this time.
      • When I was younger we used to take turns firing shotguns straight up, to see if we could get the shot to land back on us. Another variation was (If we had two shotguns), to walk about a hundred yards apart and see if we could shoot up into the air and land our shot on the other guy. (this is a fairly common white-trash sort of activity) The shot was the tiny stuff that didn’t hurt when it hit you, but then again we didn’t look up - you could hear it land around you if you were close. We never tried it with pistols or rifles though.
      • It isn’t easy to tell how fast the bullets would fall back down, but large bullets only have to be traveling at ~300 fps. to do lethal damage to humans. I would suppose they’d be going at least that fast on the way down. Helmets, anyone? - MC