Butter Or Margarine?

butter. Its God-made food, a little better than man-made.

Butter. Totally butter. Have to support the industry, you know.

I will admit to using 2/3 butter and 1/3 Crisco in my snickerdoodles, though. Makes 'em softer.

Perhaps so; I just can’t understand it, I mean, butter is nice, but sometimes it’s too rich a flavour. I don’t believe that it will generally be the case that those complaining about it being ‘artificial’ will also be shunning a wide range of other ‘artificial’ foods (like Oreo cookies, for example).

Also, butter is ‘artifical’ - it is the result of a manufacturing process (albeit a simpler one than for margarine).

Ooh, time to baffle Aesiron. My mother seriously believes that butter is an artery-clogging danger to life and limb when compared to margarine. If I use a pat of butter instead of margarine at a restaurant, she’s liable to start complaining about how tragic it would be for a mother to bury her son. :rolleyes: I wish I were kidding.
Like Anastasaeon, I started using butter the day I started getting my own groceries.

At our house, we go through butter slowly enough that even a butter bell wouldn’t help me. I keep one stick in the fridge (and occasionally toss it if I think it isn’t fresh - plus butter can absorb fridge odors over time), and the rest in the freezer. Our Brummel & Brown yogurt-based spread also doesn’t go very quickly at all. I wouldn’t have the latter in the house except that my husband is fighting high cholesterol, so I substitute it where I can.

Your mother’s concern has some validity:

“Butterfat contains 2-5% trans fatty acids (mainly C18:1), and butter has high levels of cholesterol and saturated fat. Healthy people should not consume more than 200mg of cholesterol each day and butter has 33mg of cholesterol in each tablespoon. Ahealthy range of saturated fat intake is 10-15g each day. One tablespoon contains over 7g of saturated fat. For this reason, limit butter in your diet.”

Another problem food is the egg. How many fry eggs in butter? One egg equals around 70-80% of your daily cholesterol, fry it in butter and eat it w/ a piece of buttered toast and you’re over the top. Do this 4-5 times a week and you’re a heart attack looking for a place to happen.

If butter tastes weird to you, you were probably raised by wolves.

Butter is food.

Margarine is a food product.

I eat food.

Land O’ Lakes Lightly Salted Butter all the way.

Cabot if LO’L is not available.

Crisco to grease baking pans and make pie crust.

Margarine never.

No worries, I fry eggs in bacon fat! :smiley:
Mmmmm…crispy

Butter. I can not tolerate the taste or texture of margarine.

Butter. I do a lot of home baking. I’m not about to go to the trouble of making bread from scratch and then topping it with Country Crock.

Oh, not this again. :wink:
It might be valid if I went through a stick of butter every six to eight days, but I go through one about every six to eight weeks. I do go through quite a few eggs, but most of that is HDL cholesterol if I remember right, and less harmful than might be expected.

I prefer butter.

But since I’m a poor student, I usually buy margarine.

If I ever ate toast or biscuits, I’d put margarine on them. I use butter for baking, but I don’t use very much of either of them.

I have to admit that I’m curious what you guys eat - are there really that many people here who refuse to eat anything “unnatural”? Particularly interesting are people who will bake with Crisco but won’t eat margarine.