Butter or margarine?

I guess all scientific experiments should stop then, or maybe we should never publish interim findings?

Saturated fats are bad (in excess). Use this other product. So lots of people switch to the other product, which uses trans-fats and we begin to see the effects of trans-fats on the body. Controlling for all other factors, we learn that they are as bad or worse than the saturated fats. So at this point we can warn against trans-fats, or as it seems you are suggesting, keep quiet until we learn everything about everything just so we don’t ever have any contradictory information.

You are correct here.
This is the only acceptable use for margarine. However, I never have margarine in the house, so butter it is, and about a teaspoon or two of honey.

No, I’m suggesting the use of common sense when it comes to the latest and greatest proclamations about healthy/unhealthy foods. Most foods have both upsides and downsides. It’s only my own observations, but I’ve noticed the healthiest people eat a balanced diet, exercise, avoid other bad habits, and don’t follow fads.

Butter, both stick and whipped, but mostly olive oil.

That is very true.

Actually it’s this kind of thinking that is the danger.

I also find it weak that you presume to know what I’m thinking when you clearly do not. I never said anything about “pushing an agenda.”

FYI there are plenty of independent, peer-reviewed double-blind/blah etc experiments that turn out to be partially or utterly wrong, yet people take them on faith right out of the gate (and then some) because it came from “experts.”

Never be afraid to cast a skeptical eye is my basic point, especially when it come to the alleged experts - who often caveat their findings so much that it’s clear they often aren’t themselves even quite convinced of them.

Radical dude! :wink:

I think you read more into my post than you think that I read into your post. (My god, even after several re-writes, that is a tortured sentence) I think you are making my point. Even when experienced researchers agree, they keep chipping away at the corners and often find things that invalidate earlier findings.

hey, you got sarcasm all over my screen :mad: